Chapter Thirteen: Nightmares on the Ground

The trek back to camp took much longer than expected since Jamie struggled a bit walking on her legs without a crutch. Bellamy had an arm wrapped around her waist to help support her but with the large bag of guns he was carrying she mostly had to support herself with her own much smaller bag.

When the gate of the camp came into view they heard some voices shouting out and Jamie immediately assumed Octavia was successful on freeing the grounder.

"What if he brings other grounders back?"

When they walked through the gate Jamie spotted Jasper standing beside Octavia with wide eyes. "They'll kill us all!" He shouted out in fear.

"Let the grounders come!" Bellamy called out, making their presence known. When all eyes shifted to him, he continued. "We've been afraid of them for far too long and why? Because of their knives and spears? Well, I don't know about you but I'm tired of being afraid!"

They dropped the bags of guns in front of them, visible to everyone in camp.

"These are weapons, not toys! And we have to be prepared to give them up to the guard when the dropships come but until then they're gonna help keep us safe!" Clarke added, looking around.

Jamie shifted slightly to stand on her own and Bellamy dropped his arm from around her. "And there are plenty more where these come from. Tomorrow we start training. Training to be the warriors we are!" Bellamy's gaze watched Jamie speak, smiling lightly as he watched her. His eyes then analyzed the group of delinquents to notice all of them watching Jamie just as they did with him and Clarke.

"And if the grounders come we're gonna be ready to fight!" Bellamy added to her statement causing everyone in camp to cheer.

After the group started to disperse Bellamy lightly gripped Jamie's arm and pulled her to the side. She arched a brow up at him as his eyes sparkled down at her. "They listen to you, they respect you and most of them care about you. I want you to be our second in command. As unlikely as it is, anytime we're not around, you're in charge."

Her eyes widened and she immediately shook her head. "No way! I can't...I can't be a leader."

Bellamy smirked and shook his head lightly. "You already are Jamie. We're just making it official." He shrugged lightly and smiled at her before turning away.

"Wait! Bellamy!"

He continued on, ignoring her calls and she groaned, turning to go sit by Octavia.

The girl was sitting on a fallen log, leaning against a tree staring out into the darkness of the woods when Jamie plopped down beside her. "You okay?"

Octavia's eyes flickered up to the blonde and she nodded before her gaze returned to the trees in front of her. "I just wonder if he's okay." She whispered.

Jamie glanced at the girl before offering a small smile. "Of course he is. You can't worry about him. He's fine."

A few moments passed in silence before a blanket was draped over Octavia's shoulders and Jamie turned to find Bellamy looking down at them. He smiled softly at Jamie before leaning closer to Octavia. "I don't expect you to forgive me but you'll have to find a way to live with me because I'm not going anywhere."

"Bellamy! Jamie! It's time!"

They both turned to see Clarke gesturing for them to follow her. Jamie climbed up and patted Octavia's shoulder as she started towards Clarke with Bellamy. She paused to wait for him when he stopped and asked Octavia, "that grounder escaping, was that you?"

Jamie tensed up but Octavia casually remained focused on the trees she'd been looking at. "I had nothing to do with it. Thanks for the blanket."

Bellamy sighed before he and Jamie continued into the tent behind Clarke. There were three chairs set up with headphones connected to a monitor with Chancellor Jaha on the screen. Jamie sat down in the middle and gently placed her hand on Bellamy's leg in reassurance. His other leg bounced nervously and she couldn't help but stay more focused on him than the chancellor.