Chapter Five: It's Better to be Smart Than Vengeful

A/N: Just wanted to let you all know that I do love John Murphy so please forgive me for how I portray him in this story. He will get redemption though!

A few days passed and Jamie and Octavia were on their way to the dropship, both walking with determination. They had created a plan to try to help Jasper try to overcome his fear of leaving the camp. The task would be harder than expected after several recent deaths had taken the camp by shock. Two of the hundred had simply never returned while they had found Wells Jaha's body just outside the gate the prior morning. Bellamy assumed the grounders were to blame but really, there's no way to know for sure.

"Morning ladies." Monty nodded to the girls with a soft smile as they passed him.

"Morning Mon!" Jamie called out while Octavia stuck with the more traditional, "morning!"

They found the area the boys were sleeping at and both plopped down beside Jasper. "Wake up, Jazz!" Jamie shouted, shaking the boy from his sleep. He woke up, startled, and looked around with wide eyes.

"Jay! You could have been nicer than that! The poor boy just woke up." Octavia stated although the grin on her face proved that she enjoyed the spectacle.

"Trust me, he's used to it." Jamie winked at her friend before looking back to Jasper. "Get up, we have a big day ahead of us!"

Jasper arched a brow at her before turning to Octavia. "Care to explain what this crazy woman is talking about?"

Octavia grinned before replying. "We are going to take you out of the camp today. We thought we could all go on a short walk around the perimeter. We'll be safe and Jamie can take that killer dagger of hers." She winked at the blonde before turning back to Jasper.

The boy's brow furrowed as he considered any other possible options he might have. "Any way of not going out there?"

Both girls smiled and shook their heads at him without saying a word.

"You two already discussed this haven't you?"

They both nodded and Octavia lightly chuckled at Jasper's expression. "Sorry, you're not allowed to become a hermit and stay behind the walls forever, Jazz. Now, get up!" Jamie rose to her feet and held out her hand to help him up. He groaned before allowing himself to be yanked to his feet, sighing deeply as the girls both looped their arm through his and pulled him from the dropship.

Bellamy walked out of his tent to see the girls leading Jasper to the gate. He smirked before approaching them, thinking that they couldn't be up to anything good. "Hey, what are you guys doing?"

"We're helping Jasper conquer his fear of leaving camp." Jamie replied.

Octavia nodded and smiled lightly at her brother. "We'll stay around the perimeter and be careful, don't worry."

Bellamy glanced back and forth between Octavia and Jamie before nodding. "Alright just stay within shouting distance."

Both girls smiled at him before pushing Jasper beyond the walls.

"Look, we're already there. Just take a few more steps, okay?" Octavia spoke softly and encouragingly to Jasper as his eyes shifted to the ground.

Jamie stood beside her with a gentle expression. "One foot in front of the other Jazz, you can do this."

"Hey, what's wrong?" Octavia took a step forward, her hand going to his arm.

Jasper shook his head and frowned self-consciously. "Nothing. I'm good."

"Jasper, it's been a week and you've been given a second chance. You gotta use it." Octavia walked away from him, looking around when she was suddenly pulled behind a bush. She screamed out and both Jasper and Jamie ran to her aide.