Chapter Seven: Butterflies in the Dark

"Do you think everyone up there is still alive?"

Jamie looked over at Monty with an arch in her brow. Two days had passed since the Charlotte incident and for the most part, thankfully, things seemed quiet. She sat in between Monty and Jasper, laying down against some logs by the fire. Her coat was propped beneath her head as a pillow as they looked up at the stars. "Why wouldn't they be?"

Monty shrugged before turning towards her. "I don't know. I was just wondering, I mean my parents are up there you know?"

She returned her attention to the stars above them. "Yeah, I know Mon. I'm sure they're fine. Jazz's parents are probably fine too."

"I don't care." Jasper mumbled quietly, his eyes closed. Jamie and Monty both turned to look at the boy.

Jasper had never been particularly close to either of his parents and they both completely understood why.

"Jasper! You get in here this instant!"

Monty and Jamie looked up as Jasper climbed to his feet slowly. He frowned at them before dragging himself into the large dining room his mother stood in, waiting to yell at him.

"I told you to wash the dishes!"

He shuffled nervously in front of her with his eyes trained on his feet. "I'm sorry mama, I have friends over so I thought..."

"You thought what?! I should send those two home right now!"

Jamie flinched and looked up at Monty with a frown. They hated when Jasper got in trouble especially since the boy rarely did anything to deserve it.

"I'm sorry." Jasper replied quietly.

Mrs. Jordan sighed heavily before gesturing him away. "Get out of my sight."

He ran back into his room and shut the door quietly before plopping down on the floor between Monty and Jamie. His eyes remained on the toys at their feet and before he realized what was happening two pairs of arms were hugging him tightly.

Jamie scooted closer to Jasper when the memory flashed through her mind. She was thankful for the distance between them and their parents. At least for the time being. Her arm rested against his and she watched the corner of his lip turn up before he turned to look at her. "I don't want to talk about them right now. They're not my problem down here."

"I know." She replied quietly, offering him a small smile. The wind blew then causing Jamie to shiver from the sudden cold. She groaned before leaning up and pulling her jacket, Bellamy's jacket, on. She smiled lightly while laying back down, loving how his scent seemed to surround her.

"You've got that look on your face."

She arched a brow at Jasper before Monty started in on her too.

"She does. And I know who it's for."

They both started laughing and Jamie's cheeks heated. This wouldn't be the first time the two boys harassed her for her crush, she thought that's what they were calling it at least, on Bellamy.

She groaned once again before glancing at the two. "Will you guys stop it?"

"Stop what?"

All three pairs of eyes looked up when Bellamy's voice entered the scenario.

"Yeah, Jamie, stop what?" Jasper asked with a big grin on his face.

Jamie instantly shook her head and her eyes went down to the fire. "I have no idea what you're talking about."