Chapter Nineteen: Running is for Cowards

They ran outside as the other delinquents shouted out around them in panic.

"Someone's coming!"

"Get ready!"

"Stay together!"

Jamie grabbed Bellamy's hand and he glanced down at her as they made their way towards the gate together. She tried to keep her gaze focused ahead of them and not on the red lines around Bellamy's throat but her eyes kept wandering.

They stopped when they reached the crowd in front of the gate and a few moments of silence passed throughout the large group. Jamie used the time to gently brush her fingers over the red lines on his neck and he tensed up beneath her touch. She started to pull away but he quickly turned towards her. "It's okay. I'm fine now." He mumbled to her with a soft smile. He caught her hand before she could move and kissed one of her knuckles, lightly brushing his lips across the skin. He looked down at her wrists again and she smiled faintly. "It's okay."

He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her into his side, placing a light kiss on the top of her head. They stared at each other a few seconds until one of the boys on watch broke the silence.

"Wait! Hold your fire!" One of the delinquents on the wall yelled out. "It's Clarke and Finn! Open the gate!"

"Get it! Get the gate!"

"Move it!"

"Clarke and Finn!"

"They're back!"

The gate opened and Clarke ran in followed by Finn. Jamie ran to the girl and threw her arms around her, pulling her in for a tight hug. "Thank God you're back."

Clarke pulled back and her hands held Jamie's face. "I thought you were dead." She mumbled, her voice cracking. Both girls' eyes teared up and they hugged again, relief flooding through them both.

Finn approached the two and pulled Jamie into his arms and out of Clarke's. "So glad you're okay Spunky. We were really worried about you." He pulled back slightly to look at her and a light smile appeared on his face.

"Well, it's good to know you're still alive and kicking too Space Walker." She grinned up at him causing his smile to widen.

Clarke looked around then, eyes landing on Bellamy. "We heard an explosion, what happened?" Her eyes lingered on the wounds around his neck and she knew her expression was one of horror.

"Murphy happened." Bellamy replied, stepping closer to Jamie as Finn released her. He placed his hand lightly on her back almost needing the contact from her after the long day they had.

Jasper pushed his way to Clarke and hugged her tightly. "Thank God! Where have you been? Where's Monty?"

Clarke turned to Jamie with wide eyes. "Monty's gone?"

"Clarke, we need to leave now. All of us do. There's an army of grounders unlike anything we've ever seen coming for us right now. We need to pack what we can and run." Finn interrupted, his voice hitching in panic.

"Like hell we do. We knew this was coming." Bellamy replied.

Jamie turned to Jasper and they held each other's gaze before Jamie moved forward, out of Bellamy's reach, and hugged Jasper tightly. She wrapped her arms around him and held him to her as he wrapped his arms around her waist, dropping his head on her shoulder. "He's gone." Jasper mumbled brokenly. His eyes teared up as their last hope of Monty being returned safely vanished. One of her hands twisted in his hair in a soothing manner, something he enjoyed since he was younger. Instead of relaxing under her touch though she could feel the slight tremor of his body indicating that he had started lightly crying.