Chapter Ten: Forming Unlikely Allies

Over an hour after watching Murphy struggle with the rope around his hands he finally managed to pry one of his hands out. He held onto the rope with the other one, checking to see if the grounders were returning yet before letting go and dropping to untie the rope around his feet. Once free, he ran to Jamie and untied her legs before moving to her wrists. He worked fast but Jamie could hear the grounders coming back.

"Hurry." She whispered, eyes watching the incoming glow of fire. They must have some torches they were carrying and the possibility of being lit on fire had Jamie's skin crawling. She had no clue what these people were capable of.

She felt the rope around her wrists loosen and she dropped from the post into Murphy's arms. "I got you." He mumbled, running away from the glowing torches and through the gate entering the grounder's home. He carried her behind a tree and set her down lightly on her feet to see if she could put weight on them. She barely stayed up so he wrapped his arm around her waist. "Okay, let's go." She draped her arm over his shoulder and leaned into him, letting him support some of her weight. "Thank you Murphy."

He hummed in reply, pulling her closer to him and picking up his speed. They hobbled away a little bit before they heard loud shouting behind them, from the camp.

"I think they've noticed that we're not there anymore." Murphy mumbled, his grip tightening around her.

She took in a staggered breath as he picked up the speed again, having trouble keeping up with the pace. "They're going to catch us. Just leave me and you go on."

He shook his head immediately and glanced at her. "Don't be ridiculous. I'm not leaving you."

"But if you stay with me they'll catch us. They'll kill us both, just go." She practically pleaded with him as she tried pulling away from him.

"No, I'll create a distraction." He replied quietly.

"No! That's how I ended up in this mess. Please, just go Murphy."

He didn't reply as he continued running with her, stumbling over some tree limbs and nearly dropping her, before finally pausing. "I can hide you and come back, okay? Just don't make any noise alright?"

She nodded and briefly hugged him before sliding down the tree they were hiding behind. He took off running and the glow of the torches followed him. Jamie slowly pulled herself up, moaning quietly in pain as she put weight on her legs. She limped painfully from tree to tree, staying in the shadows. She made sure to walk as light and quiet as she could, remembering all of the training she went through with her father. She leaned against a tree for a moment trying to regain her breath, she couldn't black out while she was out here.

A twig snapped nearby her and she froze, moving closer to the tree. She held her breath, waiting for whoever it was to pass. She could feel everything in her screaming for her to run but she couldn't. Not in the condition she was in. There was a long pause before someone clamped a hand down over her mouth and wrapped an arm around her waist. She tried kicking out but the person seemed to be vastly bigger than her and carried her with ease.

She finally stopped fighting and let the person carry her wherever they were going. The walk was long and she couldn't help but wonder where the person was taking her and why. She watched with wide eyes when they dropped into some sort of hole and ended up in a dark cave of sorts. She looked around at the entrance and winced noticing how hidden they were down here. It would take a while for anyone to find them and the way she felt now indicated she might not have a while.

Her heart stopped when she noticed another body lying on the ground, a familiar female body. The person set her down and she hobbled as best as she could to the body, turning her over and gasping when she saw Octavia. She shook the girl awake and Octavia's eyes slowly met hers.