Chapter Eight: Building up Defense

A/N: Warning for strong language in this one!

The next morning Jamie found herself laying back to back with Monty and a few feet from where Octavia was cuddled up to Jasper. She climbed from her spot and retreated to her and Octavia's tent, surprised when she found Clarke waiting for her. The blonde looked up when Jamie entered and slowly pulled herself to her feet. "Hey, I was hoping we could talk?"

Jamie shrugged and plopped down on her cot, Clarke following her lead.

"Listen, what I said about father the other day. Jamie, I shouldn't have said it I mean I didn't even mean it and it's not true anyway I mean anyone could see how much he loved you. He always loved you, even when we were just watching you before your mother passed."

"Clarke, you're rambling." Jamie had tried to interrupt earlier but when Clarke was nervous...well, it seemed like the girl just couldn't help herself. Clarke looked up at her cousin with an arch in her brow and she smiled softly, an apologetic smile. "It's okay. I get it. There was a lot going on and well, I just get it. I'm not mad or anything."

Clarke nodded before pulling Jamie into a tight hug. "I feel like everything is so different down here and I just wanted to make sure we were okay." She pulled back to look Jamie in the eye. "I can't lose you. You're all I have here Jamie. I know that's not the same for you I mean you have Octavia and Bellamy now, not to mention Jasper and Monty."

"You won't lose me. Everything is really different down here but we'll always have each other. And you don't just have me..." Jamie grinned up at Clarke before continuing. "Finn seems pretty attached to you."

Clarke groaned and threw herself into a laying position next to Jamie. "Don't get me started on him."

"Hey, Jamie?" Octavia entered the tent and paused when she saw Clarke. "Sorry, I can come back I didn't realize you had company."

"No, you're fine come in." Jamie instantly patted the spot next to her with a smile and the younger Blake immediately rushed in to plop down beside her. "What's up Tay?"

Octavia let out a dramatic sigh before rolling on her side to look at the exhausted looking blonde. "Jamie did you even sleep at all last night?"

Jamie arched a brow and shook her head. "Don't do that, what did you come in here for?"

"Well, I was thinking about how you're the one who made the shot last night and well..."

"What shot?" Clarke leaned up to better look at Jamie with a frown prominent on her face.

Octavia grimaced, turning to Jamie with an apologetic frown that shouted I'm sorry.

"Bellamy and I got caught in the woods last night with a giant cat beast thing and I shot it, no big deal." Jamie shrugged her shoulders but Octavia's snort did nothing to convince Clarke that the incident was nothing.

"Jamie, what happened?"

"It was nothing Clarke." She turned to Octavia with a gentle smile. "Okay, so I made the shot last night and?"

"If it were me out there I'd probably be dead. I can't shoot. I can't fight. Nothing. I want to learn how to protect myself."

Jamie glanced at Clarke before nodding, an idea coming to life in her mind. "You're right, you need to learn. Both of you. Actually, everyone needs to know how to fight. I'll um...I'll be right back." She climbed to her feet and rushed out of the tent, heading straight to Bellamy's. She paused outside, having trouble gaining the confidence she needed to go in. The tent opened and she jumped back in surprise when Bellamy walked out. He stopped suddenly and his expression shifted to a nervous one, opposite his usual cocky demeanor. "Hey, Jamie. What's up?" He stammered out, flustered.