This is the way it should be

Elijah walked in the house on the lake with a letter in his hand.

"Dear Tenant,

welcome to your new home- I hope you will enjoy living here as much as I did. There is one favour to ask. I will be away for a while and if there is probably going to be mail coming, so I would appreciate if you would forward it to this address 2401 Falls St- Sincerely, Elena Gilbert"

Elijah looked at the date above- 8 th October, 2011

And it was unusual. It was 2013. He put the letter in the basket, not thinking anything of it, but it being a mistake. He went on with his business. His phone rang and seeingbit was his suster, he replied. "How is New Orleans?"

"Boring without you."- the vampire replied.

"Oh, really- I thought you had you hands full with Marcel?"

"Ok- how long will you be hiding in this God forgotten place??"

"I've been gone but two days-"

"It must be so boring- just the lake and the woods and nothing!"- Rebekah moaned

"That's exactly what I need. Peace. I need to find the way back to myself- we talked about it! You are very welcome to visit me!"- Elijah said.

"Right- soon- love you- call me!"- Rebekah said and hung up.

Elijah hung up and sat down on the sofa looking up to the ceiling. Emptiness. That's what he felt. Nothing. It was good that for a while he feels minimal.

"Animate"- he said to himself-"go for a walk!"

And he did.

********

In Withmore College

"I just hope whoever is in the lake house will forward letters-!"- Elena said to Caroline.

"What letters are you going to get there?? Everything is e-mailed??"

"It's the Historical society thing and still things are written in old-fashioned letters-plus- I had no time to sit down and write to all the society members about me now relocating to Withmore permanently- I will drive there this weekend just to have a look- anyway what are you and Enzo doing tomorrow night"

"Nothing much- ah- that concert?"

"Yes- I know I will be the third wheel- but- you guys can come along!"

"What's with Stefan?"

"Over- just - he and Lexie! You know!"- Elena said-

"Yeah- I know- but do you really blame him- you have slept with Damon and then it all just went to -"

"Don't mention any of them- I am not dating- for a while!! Still need to live down the bitch label"

"Come on- tomorrow is a new day- Scarlett!!"- Caroline teased her friend.

****

As he arrived back to the lake house- Elijah looked at the books that were in the glass cabinet. As he opened it there was a note book that looked like a diary- on the cover he saw the name from the letter- Elena Gilbert.

He took it and not thinking twice he took the book and went to the address. Why not- it was something to do- he thought,he had nothing better to do. As he got there - there was an empty plot where a house once stood. It was somewhat strange, but now that he was there, he went to the house next door and knocked.

A woman in her late fifties appeared-"How can I help you'"

"I ... this belongs to Elena Gilbert- she has left it in the lake house, I understand she lived there and said to forward all her mail to that address- but - there is no house?!!"- Elijah explained.

"Ah- it burnt down- six months ago- it was a horrific thing- something to do with electrics- Miss Gilbert has moved on- after her brother died- she was so devastated- she never left any address behind- I am sorry- I cannot help you"- the woman said and closed the door.

"Magic!"- Elijah now thought. He swished away from the place and went back to the lake house and wrote a letter-

"Dear Elena,

I am the new tenant in the Wolf Lake house. My name is Elijah. So far, there has not been any letters to forward- and maybe it has something to do with the fact that now it is October, 8th 2013. Anyway, I have found this note book- presuming it is your diary or simply a note book. Also, I had visited your house in Mystic Falls and the house is no more. You may think this is some kind of a bad joke, but it is the very truth. I will leave it under the garden bench. Sincerely, Elijah"

*****

2011

Elena drove to the lake house to see if she had any letters come and talk to the new tenant. The house was empty as she walked in. She picked up her letters from the mailbox and one of them was addressed to her- with only a name on the envelope. She opened it.

She read it twice and didn't understand how he was there when clearly no one occupied the house. But the thing of her diary made her very curious. The diary Elijah mentioned couldn't have been in the lake house- and what was incredibly strange was that her family house in Mystic Falls was still standing. She closed the door and went to Mystic Falls to check out if the diary was under the bench in the garden, and there it was. Elena unwrapped it and her heart stopped for a moment. It was in tact.

Flashback

Two years previously- 2009

" I hate everything about my life. Everything!!!"- Elena yelled at the open air- "Ahhhhh- " and then she tossed the diary as far as she could into the lake crying.

"This cannot be!!"-Elena now whispered.

"What's up'!"- Jeremy said.

"Look! My diary!"

"Yes- so?"

"I threw it in the lake...when mom and dad-you know- died!"- Elena said standing up.

"What- and now it's here in the garden??"- Jeremy asked.

"Yes!?!"- Elena confirmed. She now went to her room.

Her whole world was spinning. Nothing made sense- then she read Elijah's letter again.

Then she opened the diary and read the last entry, which was not hers, but she knew this person's writing-

"This is the way it should be!"