Shrouded in mystery

In the morning the next day, Elijah did as he had done every day he was at the lake house and it was to go for a walk in the woods - on his return he would look in the mail box. And  a letter was there addressed to him. He opened it eagerly -

"Dear Elijah,

Thank you for taking the my diary to the house. And- I really don't understand how it is intact. I need to tell you that I threw in the lake. My friends would probably call me crazy for writing to you, because none of this really makes any sense and yet again it so makes great sense to me. I have to go now. Thank you so much once again. Elena."

It was short and Elijah could sense fear of some kind in it. It was not unusual. He was in the future. And yet her letters from the past are getting to him.

"Elena Gilbert" he uttered putting the letter back in the envelope. He needed to know who she really was, who her family was. What had happened to her and her brothher!? What kind of magic was involved here? Why are they communicating in this manner years apart? So, he took it upon him to find out about this woman. But everywhere he went he seemed to hit a dead end- it was like the Gilbert family had been erased from the memory of the people in the town. Everyone only remembered the horrific night the house burnt down and Elena's sadness.

One evening as returned to the lake house and found his beloved sister waiting for him on the porch.

"My battery died on the way and I just thought- ah well- let's do the old-fashioned thing and wait! Where have you been?"- Rebekah. said to him as he neared her. She was cheerful.

He opened the house and invited her in.

"It's actually nice. Rustic."- Rebekah said- "and now tell me- don't you have enough of seclusion and endless walks into the woods and swimming in the lake, reading?? Got some fresh blood supplies- your favourite group!"- the vampire took out blood bags out of her bag.

"I told you not to do it!"- Elijah scolded her a bit regarding blood.

"It was a donation. From Cami"- Rebekah said.

"No. I don't have enough of this place just yet. Actually I am really enjoying it"

"Well, it is miraculously doing you good I can see- I am glad- Kol's gone again- I have a feeling you won't come back either?!~ Rebekah now expressed her fear conveying the real reason of her visit.

"I will be back'- Elijah said in a promising tone.

"The next millenium?"-

Elijah now poured them some wine adding blood in it-

"You are writing again?"- Rebekah noticed note books and stationary on the desk beside the window.

"I am."- was Elijah's short reply not wanting to go deeper into the matter.

*******

Days after, Elena went up to the lake house again only for one reason- to see if there was a letter. She opened the mail box and a letter was there- she took it as a little precious gem. She looked around. Everything was the way she had left it. There was no evidence of someone living there. She sighed a little  walking to the house taking the key out of the pocket and opened the house. It was empty. She walked around and everything looked the same. No changes. She sat down on the sofa and opened the letter-

"Dear Elena,

You are so very welcome. But I have to tell you that the diary was not in the lake, but in the glass cabinet. The time difference explains maybe how and why I could bring it to you. I can't help but think that there is a reason you got your diary back. I went to the town and wanted to take the letters to the address you had given me, and... this is not easy to say, but - there is no house at the address you had given. The neighbour said it burnt down a year before. I tried to find out something more, but everyone seemed to want to forget about it. Anyway, I wanted to write a little something about me. You already know that my name is Elijah. I am a writer among a lot of other things, but I use a pseudonym- Joel Goran.
Sincerely, Elijah."

"Joel Goran??"- she said to herself. The name rang a bell. She googled the name and there it was. She could now picture the man she was exchanging letters with.

"Historical murder mysteries" -Elena uttered. And there was a book that she had seen at her aunt Jenna's house- "The Damned Merchant"
- and she now remembered Jenna talking about it. It was about a vampire and his family in the 18th century.

She now found a paper and started writing a letter to him-

"Dear Elijah,

Talk about mysteries. Maybe this is your way of researching for a book. I don't know. I can't say I am not intrigued. I have looked up about you- Elijah- or, well, Joel Goran... now I remember my aunt Jenna had talked about your books. Anyway, you should be around in 2011. Still don't know how this is happening. And-well, I would "- she stopped there- she was all of a sudden all flustered- she was a very daring woman, sometimes too daring.   She needed to find out more- and so she wrote-"I would like to meet you. Have a nice day, Elena"

She looked at it and paused for a moment -should she meet him- she thought- yeah- everything about it screamed the thing Elena joined the Historical Society for- the unexplained going ons in Mystic Falls. Stories of haunted places like the Boarding House. Wickery bridge being covered in blood on St. Katherine's day. Her family member being involved in sightings of vampires and the Secret Council. And finally about this lake house, who had once burned to the ground and with it all the records of the Secret Council.

She put the letter in an envelope and sealed it. Then she looked at the photo of him once again stored now in her gallery box.

"Mysteries!?"- she uttered faintly. She could not but think how handsome he was.  She smiled a little and went out the house locking it up.
Her phone rang and she answered it.

"What are you doing later?"- Caroline shot out-"It's Damon's birthday and Bonnie has invited us over - nothing big- just pizza and game of charades!"

"I am at the lake house now. I am meeting Mrs Lockwood in an hour. I'll be in Withmore tonight, yeah, pizza sounds great. Don't have to buy him a present, do I?"

"No, just be there. See you"-Caroline said and hung up.

Elena put the phone in the pocket and the letter in the mail box. She turned around once more to look at the house. 

Everything was so shrouded in mystery. And he might be a clue in this mystery about her and her family- she thought. 

She got into her car and drove off.