Chapter 14

After Lydia's mysterious voodoo trial, Faeleb began spending a lot more time with her, discussing the oddest topics I have ever heard, from UFO theories to raccoon cupcakes. To be honest, I couldn't care less, because I got to spend more time with Hoytt Quigley. And, soon enough, he asked me to accompany him to the annual Hempstead High School Talent Show.

    The show fell on the first Friday of October, and for the entirety of that Friday, I could not focus in class. All I could daydream about was that Hoytt Quigley was going to pick me up from my home around five and take me to the talent show, where the lights would me dim and we could bathe in each other's saliva while classmates delivered low-class renditions of popular radio tunes or performed acts of their mediocre talents.

    Because of my sheer excitement to swap spit with the chocolate giant, I couldn't even worry about that person who had spread rumors about me and Andre and ruined my relationship with Gorden. I didn't fear this entity anymore; he or she had already broken us up, and I had nothing to hide anymore. I'm a free bitch, baby!

*

    It was nearing five o'clock, and Hoytt was on his way. I checked my outfit one last time for any flaws. I wore a strapless black dress with black knee-high boots, a black cardigan and black accessories. I know, I wore a lot of black; I had been striving for the Gothic-chic look since I saw The Nightmare Before Christmas.

    Hoytt arrived at 5:01 and I, after taking a deep breath, started making my way downstairs. How was he going to take me there? He couldn't drive, but if he was the bad boy I desired for, he'd still manage to get a car and drive us to school. I eagerly headed out the door, desperate to see what his ride was like.

    "Hey, Mumu." There he was, sitting on a pink tandem bike with a My Little Pony helmet over his head and his afro spilling out from underneath. "You dig it?"

    "Oh, my God..." I started, completely blown away. "This is interesting..." He wasn't a bad boy, but a sensitive one. Ugh, that is so fucking hot, I thought. I craved spilling my feelings onto him and his rich cocoa body.

    We rode in the glistening and romantic evening towards our school, often commenting on how beautiful the streets were at this time and guessing what kind of acts we would see. We passed by Benny, who rode on a motorcycle being driven by an older man clad in a dark helmet that disguised his face. Benny was trying to lay a line of cocaine across that man's shoulder blades in order to snort it while the motorcycle was in motion, but the white powder kept flying away, giving the visual of snowfall on this somewhat chilly October evening. As they passed us, the romantic image of white flecks flying around Hoytt and me made butterflies swarm in my stomach, but the image died when the helmeted man drove away at top speed. Who was this man, and why was he letting Benny snort cocaine off of him?

*

    When we arrived at school, we spotted Kigurl, Ronan, Lydia and Faeleb waiting outside for us, all dressed in causal clothes. I felt overdressed, especially compared to Faeleb, who sported red booty shorts despite the cool temperature. Just as I started worrying, Hoytt grabbed my hand.

    "You look fine, pretty mama," He told me, imitating Johnny Bravo's sensual voice. I sighed, smiling at him, and then together we headed towards our friends.

    After greeting the others, we showed our tickets to the senior supervising the talent show and entered the auditorium. As we waited for the show to start, I told the others about Benny's joyride, and everyone seemed extremely intrigued. Ronan was cracking up at the image of him trying to snort cocaine while on a motorcycle, whereas Kigurl theorized that man was a paramour of Benny, even though she had explained to us that our school's failure of a druggie had no sexual drive.

    We talked about Benny's antics and potions until the lights dimmed and the stage lit up. Then, the show started. Hoytt put his arm around me and I snuggled with him as the first performance came up, a duo of cheerleaders singing a One Direction song. I am so gonna get the D tonight, I thought, inhaling Hoytt's strong cologne. Everything was working out perfectly.

*

    The acts passed slowly while I waited for Hoytt to make a move on me, but he just held me close and watched the stage intently. He should have been interested in me and my glossed lips, not the show! I was practically dying of boredom, so I tried to whisper seductive words into his ear and press my hand into his thigh, but he hushed me down and barely acknowledged me. I was getting more and more irritated by the minute. Why wasn't he falling in love with me?

    But my spirits were lifted when the band E=MZ Cubed showed up on stage.

    Who is that guy? I thought, gazing at the lead singer, who took his place at the center. I felt my heart skipping beats at the lanky man rocking a pompadour and a polo shirt. His Adam's Apple was so prominent that it was basically calling out to be touched. I felt hot just looking at him.  The spotlight of my heart shone solely down on the lead singer.

    "Hey, everybody, my name is Zenphen Hale, and we are E=MZ Cubed!" A weak cheer erupted from the crowd as the band started playing. He began jumping and belting out a song about the quadratic formula with his lustful voice. It was all I heard; the other instruments were tuned out, and so was everyone else in the crowd, as if he were solely singing to me.

    By the apex of the second song E=MZ Cubed performed, I saw Zenphen part from his microphone and stand right at the edge of the stage. The lights overhead shone around his black hair as he looked down at me, who happened to be sitting near the front. Within seconds he jumped into the crowd, and landed right on me.

    "Oh, motherfu—" I screamed out as he bent back my pinky finger before landing on the ground.

    "Oh, God!" Zephen stood up. "I'm sorry! My stage-dive never meant to hurt anyone!"

    "It's...it's okay," I bashfully forgave. He shot me a smile and then galloped out of the row, back to the stage. My finger was throbbing just like my heart.

    "Mumu, are you okay?" Hoytt asked, holding my uninjured hand.

    "Leave me alone," I muttered. Now, I had my eyes set on Zenphen Hale.

*

    I hitched a ride with Ronan and her mother after the show was over. After the way Hoytt had ignored me and my advances, I didn't want to bother with him anymore. Plus, I had my eyes set on the attractive Zenphen Hale.

    Surprisingly, he was in Ronan's chemistry class. He was a sophomore, and he was known for belting out Disney tunes while the class mixed hazardous chemicals, thus resulting in hair-burning explosions. Not to mention that he was the tallest kid in the class. Everything about him sounded so...dreamy. I was sure that he would become my next conquest.