Chapter Fifteen

Lauren (5:38): I'm here babe

Camila (5:42): Just got my bags, see you soon <3

Camila emerged from the sliding double doors of the airport and into her girlfriends arms. Lauren, almost falling over from the force her girlfriend hugged her with, wrapped her arms around Camila's waist.

"Ten days was too long, Mila" Lauren placed a kiss on the side of her head. Camila and her family went on a much needed vacation together. Camila met them in New York and they spent just under two weeks there. Sinu and Alejandro offered for Lauren to come but she couldn't afford to miss school. "How are we going to celebrate your home coming?" Lauren asked.

"Mind blowing sex?" Camila joked.

"Very funny" Lauren let out a forced laugh, causing Camila to pull away from their hug. Camila searched Lauren's face that was blocked with sunglasses. Camila gently pushed her glasses to reveal puffy eyes. Camila's expression softened and she ran her thumb along Lauren's cheek. Lauren was looking at anything but her girlfriend right now.

"Baby, what's wrong? What happened?" Camila asked in a panic.

"Nothing, it's fine, let's go home" Lauren begged, pulling her sunglasses down. Camila nodded, understanding Lauren would explain everything at home.

The ride back to the apartment was short and quiet. Lauren would ask generic questions about Camila's trip and Camila would answer, knowing Lauren was really trying to get into the discussion. When Lauren ran out of questions to ask, she looked over and have Camila an apologetic look. Camila answered by bringing Lauren's hand up, that was already intertwined with her own, and kissing it softly.

When they actually made it back, Camila dropped off her luggage in her room and got changed quickly. She made it to Lauren's room and saw her already in bed, reading something on her phone. Lauren didn't budge when Camila slid into the spot next her. Camila waited for Lauren to finish reading what she was reading before reaching over and locking her phone. Camila's hands found Lauren's cheek and slowly moved her head to face her, however Lauren's gaze stayed planted on her lap.

"My mom called a couple days ago and my grandfather died." Lauren said, barely above a whisper.

"Lo," Camila instantly wrapped her arms around her girlfriend. "Why didn't you call me? You should've called. Oh my god I'm so sorry, sweetheart" Lauren relaxed into the hug and Camila could hear light cries.

Both Lauren and Camila were very family oriented. Coming from large Cuban families, family was all they really know and related well on that level. Camila met both sets of Lauren's grandparents on many occasions. Lauren was extremely close with all four but Lauren saying her grandfather and not her abuelo, Camila knew Lauren was speaking about her grandfather on her dads side. Lauren grew up living five minutes away from them, unlike her grandparents on her moms side who were across the state, and because of that, they saw each other every occasion they could. Lauren used to spend summers with them while her parents worked and before her siblings were born. Lauren's grandfather was the first person to get Lauren into sports and he was at every single one of her softball games back in high school. Because of the bond they had, Camila can't even begin to imagine how destroyed Lauren must be right now. Lauren's arm tightening around Camila brought her out of her memories.

"I know you just got home but can we stay here today?" Lauren asked, shyly, and Camila nodded.

"For sure," Camila's hand softly raked through her hair. "If you want me to come to Miami for the service, say the word, okay?"

"It's tomorrow and it doesn't really make sense to go, it's not like I want to either. When we visit next month I'll go see him and stuff." Lauren spoke into Camila's neck.