Chapter 3

"When we plan our lives ourselves; God uses even the worst circumstances to bring us back"-Desh

Andrea Phillips walked into Connors drug store. She had dreaded this visit for 3 weeks but now it was necessary. 2 years ago, such a visit would have never applied to her but now it was. Over the past two years she had endured some sort of transformation in everything. It all started about 2 years ago when her mom filed for divorce. Before that day her parents had been the perfect couple; obviously in love and together. She had no idea there was even a little strain in the relationship between her parents. She recalled vividly that evening when her parents had called her down from her room.

"Hey Mom, Hey Dad" she had said

"Andrea, take a seat"

"What's up guys?"

"Andrea we have something to tell you" her dad had said

"I'm sad to tell you but me and dad had to come about a decision"

"What's so important" She had asked

"We're getting a Divorce" her mom had said

"You're what?? Getting a what?"

"A divorce" her dad had reaffirmed.

"What?? Why?? How??" she had asked bursting into tears

"You're too young. You won't understand"

"Too young?? Dad I have a boyfriend and you know it. I'm old enough to understand love stuff"

"Sorry princess this one's a secret"

Without further thought she had run to her room in anger and cried her eyes out on her bed. Her room door had remained closed for two whole days. She was too angry to open it. A week later like a joke her mom was gone. She had finally come downstairs and Dad had explained the 2 weeks shift between his house and her mothers.

2 weeks came and went and her mom came to pick her. She insisted on driving her car and so rode behind her mom For 4 whole days she found excuses not to talk with her mom. After a week her mom called her and attempted a discussion but she refused. 4 months dragged on with her between Mom and Dad hardly talking to any of them. Then one day, had been at home alone her mom had accidentally left her phone at home and she was curious so she opened the phone. After an hour of rampaging through her mom's sms's and chats she now knew what had happened. Her Mom, the 'virtuous woman' had been in an affair. Then it all made sense, that's why her dad had hid it from her because she was grown up to be 'modest in all ways' by her mom and now her mom had been involved in promiscuity. It also explained why her mom had left church, she had thought it was sickness or something but it wasn't. When her mom had come home she had met her still flipping through the phone and it had seemed she had just known she had been caught.

"Sweetheart it's not what you're thinking"

"Sweetheart!! Says the mom who made me be the only one who kept my virginity in Freshman year"

"Sweetheart sit down let me explain"

"Explain what?"

"Explain that it was a mistake"

"Well Mom, you made your mistake and learnt from it right?"

"Yes Dearie"

"Lemme go have my own lesson" and with that she went to her car and drove off.

Before she had reached home, her mom had already updated her dad on their fallout. Her Dad had asked her what had happened and she returned him to the silent treatment. 3 months down the line, she moved out of the house and got an apartment. Her parents had been definitely not supportive but they didn't have an option than to agree. She had lived in peace with herself and then she slowly lost control. She stopped youth group then teen counselling then church. Within another year she had become a mere shadow of her old self. She had become a hippie jumping from place to place boyfriend to boyfriend. She was living the life. Her parents constantly had to feed her bills because she couldn't make them and they were called. And then just 4 months ago, she had met Trevor. Trevor was cool. The ideal Prince Charming-football quarterback-macho-singer Boyfriend. She had thought he meant good for her and they had started dating. After a month, they had become involved intimately but with protection. 2 months ago that is two years into their relationship, she Trevor had won a football final with a rival school. Lost in the Euphoria of the victory, they had gone intimately unprotected in the locker room. Since that day, the sparkle of love between her and Trevor had not fully returned. Things took an ugly turn when she had started vomiting 3 weeks ago. Then 2 weeks ago she started oversleeping morning hours. She had known both were symptoms of pregnancy but refused the test. For the past 6 days, since Monday, she hadn't gone to school, she was too down so today morning when both her parents had called and complained that the school had been buzzing them, she knew she had no choice than to take the test. This brought her here to the store. Was she pregnant or Not? The answer to this question could very well affect her future.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Derek Collins was having a bad day. Today, somebody was challenging him. Derek wasn't used to being challenged; he was used to being a 'god'. Derek son of Mark Collins was born with a silver spoon. His dad, Mark had been the Senior Pastor at Mark the Gospel Centre. Growing up, Derek was subjected to this that, that fellowship, that programme and so it was for him. He was a bright child doing well in school and so on. When he was 9, his mom died of cancer. He really struggled believing in a God after that but he never told anyone. When he was 17 a day to his High School Graduation, he was walking down the school lawn with his girlfriend when he got a call; his dad had died.

His Dad's death shook the wind out of Derek. It drained him of life, joy, peace. For a whole 3 months, Derek was totally shattered. The church members had been supportive but the anger that had been brewing in Derek since his mom's death plus the increased anger from his dad's death made him unbearable. He had lashed out on everyone. Since he was legal he got the house and the church. A month later, he had started gambling. He gambled and became a professional however along the line he lost the church. From gambling he joined drug dealing. Within 2 years he became a big boy. At 20, he lived in a mansion and controlled the streets of New York. He had not really had any threat at all. It was one high school senior or the other who usually silenced after some months but Dave, Dave was different. Dave had come up like a joke but suddenly he was making the vibes. Gradually his gang members started disbanding. Over the last 4 months he had lost 50 people to Dave and he was gaining more ground by the day. The competition really annoyed him and pissed him off. How dare he appear from nowhere and come to take over his town. He had sent 5 of his highest members on different visits to warn Dave but Dave appeared to be fearless. In the past, if he sent just one representative, it was settled but now it wasn't it wasn't working. Whatever this Dave was planning, it was time he paid him a visit in person.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samantha Jones stared at her room wall bored. She had done her homework and now she was bored. She didn't have anywhere to go. Just then her phone buzzed. It was an SMS from Dave. "Meet me out front in 10 minutes; we're going for a party". Finally something to relieve her boredom. Her mom wasn't home yet meaning she could get out unquestioned. She quickly showered, looked for a dress. Dave liked her figure so she changed into something skimpy to impress him. Today was another day with wonder boy Dave. 10 minutes later she heard Dave's Jag Rev at the door. She rushed down and entered.

"Where we going to?" She asked

"Apparently, Derek's scared and so he's invited me over"

"Wait, so we going to him?"

"No, he came over to us"

"Well let's go Party"

In 5 minutes, they arrived the club where Derek's party was happening. As they entered, Derek came over.

"Hey, Dave Corbs in flesh and blood"

"The one and only Boss" Dave said

"I like this guy", Derek said laughing, "Welcome to what I call a party"

Derek's party defined crazy. Strippers, drinks, drugs, this was a thug life party. Dave and Samantha went around socializing and making friends. An hour later Derek challenge Dave to a rap battle. They started and went on dissing one another for 15 minutes. Gradually the battle turned into a personal thing. Samantha tried to calm Dave down but it didn't work and Dave threw a punch at Derek. Derek immediately revenged. A fight ensued between Dave and Derek's followers. 5 minutes later, Derek pulled out his gun and fired at Dave. Not long later, sirens blared up meaning Police and Paramedics, everybody ran. The police and paramedics arrived and saw Samantha In tears, they asked a few questions and Dave was rushed into the ambulance. Samantha walked up to the chief paramedic.

"Is he going to be okay?" she asked

"I'm afraid, the chances are 80-20"

With that, Samantha fell backwards immediately and fainted.