Chapter 12

"A bend in the road is not the end of the road except you want it to" - Anonymous

Derek Collins was having yet another bad day. The way life was moving, Derek was sure he was going to kill someone soon. If Kelsey thought he was having fun, she was very wrong. How dare she deny the leader of the Proteges what he wanted?

Kelsey was his girlfriend and ultimately counterpart in running the Proteges. But today she has chosen to be like Queen Vashti. Wait why was he thinking about the Bible? Probably because she just did to him what the biblical Vashti did to her husband the King. He had been having a party and he invited other boss's like him. They were all here with their ladies. Then he had called Kelsey thinking maybe she had forgotten only for Kelsey to tell him point blank "Derek, I'm not coming" then she had cut off the call

Who did she think she was? She wasn't his first girlfriend since he began running the cult. Hell! She wasn't even the first this year. She could just easily be replaced. But all the other girls hadn't broken up with him because of disobedience, he was simply tired of them. But Kelsey, hers was outright disobedience. She deserved a punishment yes she deserved one. Derek was scheming up a revenge when he remembered something Bull one of his guests had said about loyal girlfriends. He had said something about Samantha Jones whose boyfriend had been shot at a party 6 months ago. He said Samantha had been with his in the hospital ever since. The second he said it, Derek had been immediately uneasy very very uneasy. He remembered that 'anonymous' party. He had organized it and invited Dave Corbs. His main intention wasn't to harm him but when Dave had dropped a line dissing him, he couldn't control himself any longer. He had immediately pulled out his MG and shot Dave. He himself, he was very startled when the harm had been done but he couldn't show it. He had to let others see it as a 'show of force'. Luckily, Dave had been too proud to come with Back-up so he had no one to fight. Immediately, he and his whole crew and all the other guest had run away for safety. In the first few weeks he had tried to forget Dave but it wouldn't go. Hell 2 years of being a ganglion and he still had a conscience. It was traumatizing. He would take a drink but the thought of Dave will still be there. It was like he had been jazzed. He thought about Samantha, it must have been real hard on her. He thought she was like Kelsey and Bonnie his former girlfriend. He thought she didn't really give a damn about Dave but wanted the money and the fame but apparently he was wrong very wrong. She actually Loved Dave. Would he ever have that? Then another thought hit him hard in the face. What next?? Where was he going with Life?Life is all about money, drugs and quality sex a voice said. Yes that was it. Derek was about to take a swig from his bottle of Beer when another voice came up What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses his soul in fire? . What was that, Derek pretended to think where it had come from but he remembered it was from the bible. This verse especially from the last sermon his Dad had preached. His dad had preached about Life after death and where we go and the vanity of material possessions. Derek had as usual declined having any questions on the ride home. He had to be the perfect kid but today that question stung him. Come on, the bible is one big fairy tale. How can there be a city of Gold and an ever burning lake a voice said. I'll tell you what Is real. What is real is music and drugs and guns and women. Almost immediately another voice came. I parted the red sea, I fell the walls of Jericho, I turned a woman into a pillar of salt. Visit Jerusalem if you want see? Derek was obviously having a battle of the mind. He had experienced such over the last two years but none was as strong as this. Come on Derek, you've shot people, killed people, had sex unnumbered time in the last two years, you've also stolen from churches and all salt woman did was turn around. Surely if there was still a God you would've been dead. Come to think of it, maybe God was dead Derek thought. Maybe he only existed and Jesus' death was his death after all they were the same person. What then? Shall we continue to sin that grace may abound?...For the lord our God is a merciful God. Forced to think, Derek sat and thought for long but no answers came then he remembered today was Sunday. He downloaded a bible app and got in his car. Who was controlling him? He drove straight to Mark the Gospel Center and sat in the back row. Some guy, Nelson Dante was speaking. He had heard of Nelson. Nelson was an excessive Drug consumer and musician but some years down, Nelson had become a christian.