Chapter One: Don't Leave

Society is gone. Survivors try their best just to die in the end. I was driving through Atlanta when my truck finally came to a stop. I slammed it into park and took the keys. Grabbing my stuff was simple. Two duffel bags that easily fit on my back and the extra ammo in my glove box. That's when I noticed they were all coming from different directions. I pulled myself out of the open window and got on top of the truck looking for a way out.
        The sun was falling in the sky when I was still fighting my way out. I moved to another car when I had the chance. Moving from car roof to car roof wasn't much of a plan but it's all I had. It was too risky to do much else. I wiped the sweat from my forehead and kicked another walker in the head. One little, two little, dead man walking.. I smiled and kicked another one in the head hard enough to kill it. The car near me seemed close enough for me to jump. My hands and torso hit the car but my feet dangled off. Walkers pulled at my feet when I kicked them but I couldn't pull myself up as it started to rain. I looked up at the other side of the car and came face to face with another walker. The end of an arrow came close to my face. Next thing I see is a car plowing through the walkers. The sides of the cars collided and welcomed me a way out. I climbed through the sun roof not bothering to look at the driver.
        "Car's out of gas." "Walking is always an option." We got out of the car and I looked around the field. It was getting dark and my number one rule is to never travel in the dark. It never leads to anything good. I started to walk away but he stopped me. "A thank you would be nice. I did save you." "I don't need saving." "Didn't look that way. Do whatever you want." Hearing him walk away made me uneasy. I didn't know where I was and I wasn't going to safe alone. "Wait up."

          "I'm Miranda by the way. Miranda Tate."  "I'm Daryl. I thought you were fine alone." I shrugged and we entered a clearing. There were tents, cars and a small fire. I must've been smiling because Daryl gave me a weird look. We walked farther up but he didn't stay by me. It made me feel uncomfortable. By the way they looked at me I wasn't welcome. I chose to sit away from everyone and cracked open a can of fruit. I stabbed a pear with my knife and looked over to see them watching me. I put my fruit down and pulled out a jar of peanut butter. "Here, I'm sure the kid would enjoy it." "We can't."  I smiled and tossed it to the kid. He caught it so I walked back over to my stuff. 
        When the women started to clean up I walked over to help. They gave me a few dirty looks but I still offered. They ignored me so I walked away.  "Thanks for the peanut butter." "Make it last. There's no telling when you'll get anymore." I ruffled his hair and he ran off. 
         "Thanks for doing that. I'm Rick and that was Carl." "I'm Miranda and it's no problem. I'll be out of your space tomorrow." "Stay as long as you like." A quick smile and he was gone.