Chapter Twelve: Leaving

I sat on the window sill while I fed Sophia. Carol was cooking breakfast with Beth and Maggie while everyone sat around the table. It's been days since Daryl left. "Miranda?" "Oh.. Hey Rick." "Carol wanted me to bring you a plate." "Thanks." He smiled and walked back. I put Sophia in the bassinet and ate breakfast. My eyes never left the window. It doesn't seem like they ever do anymore. I looked out at the street and saw a herd of walkers. "Rick!" He rushed to the window and told everyone to stay inside. I followed him out and went to the gate. He ran the perimeter and came back looking worried. "We can't stay here any longer. They're coming at both sides."

    We rushed in and told everyone to grab their things. Rick packed the kitchen and I grabbed Daryl's things and Sophia. I made sure everyone was out before I left. I was about to leave when I saw Daryl's crossbow. I knew I couldn't leave it. I tossed our bags into the back and put Sophia in the truck seat. "How will we get through?" "Leave it to me. Carol take my truck." I grabbed my bow and my machete before leaving the gate. I shot the first few, collected my arrows and shot again. When they got close I started with my machete. It was simple until I got surrounded. They pushed me hard enough I fell on the ground. I kicked them off me but they were getting too close. Their jaws snapped when they bit down just as I moved. Their blood splattered all over me every time I killed one of them. I heard a scream and shouting most likely from Carol. I hit the last one over the head and laid back on the street. They drove forward and I got up.

     "What about Daryl?" "I'm not sure." It sucked leaving the cabin unable to tell Daryl where we were. I wanted to stay and wait for him but with him gone I was needed with the group. I played with Sophia while we drove. Her giggles left me smiling even though my heart was heavy. I wish the hatred stayed as hatred. We were better just glaring at each other and hardly speaking, saving each others lives when we had the chance.

     We drove past the town and kept moving. He was nowhere in sight. When we stopped Carol told me she would drive the truck so I could sleep. I moved over and picked up Sophia. She moved closer to me and fell back asleep. "She really is cute." "Yeah.."

     I woke up in the dark. It was raining while we drove. I covered Sophia up with another blanket and sighed when I didn't hear the motorcycle. Carol pulled over and I got out. "What's up Rick?" "We need to find somewhere to sleep for the night."  "Let's go a few more miles until we find somewhere to pitch a few tents."

     We continued to drive and I noticed a house not too far. So I signaled Rick. He turned down the road and we all followed. I checked in the house and pulled out my knife. I stabbed the two walkers and checked the upstairs. Everything was clear when I walked back downstairs just as Lori walked in. "I'll take watch." "What about Sophia?" "Carol has her."

       I loaded my sniper and got on the roof. I set up a mirror so I could see behind me and hoped not to see anything until at least tomorrow. Everything was quiet. It was starting to get cold and I knew Lori couldn't be moving like this for much longer. We needed somewhere permanent and I knew I wasn't the only one who thought so. The sun started to show over the trees. It was beautiful to be honest. A calm morning in a world of hell.