Chapter Twenty: Falling In With the Dead

Everyone was on edge inside the prison. I started doing pushups in my cell when I heard metal hitting against metal. "What's up Merle?" "I'm stepping out for a bit." "Alone? The hell you are. Daryl will kill me."
"I already talked to him. These.. people look at me like I'm the devil." I stood up and grabbed him by the throat. "You listen to me. I need one normal day and you aren't helping. You'll die out there."
     "Now I can see why he likes you so much sweetheart. You're as wild as he is." I let him go and stared him down. He twitched slightly making my stomach churn. "You want to die. So you want to go out a hero? You're going out like a coward, Merle." He took a step back and waited for me to yell at him or hit him in the least. I kissed his cheek and put my cross around his neck.
      "Don't lose your way Merle, come home." "I never get lost out there." I smiled and he left my cell. Carol came walking up not too long after. "He's got quite a soft spot for you Miranda." "I'm not sure that's a good thing. I'm going to check the perimeter." I grabbed my gun and went outside. I watched him leave and knew he was taking her to the Governor. I shook my head and sighed. Could it get any worse?
       I ran out into the field and started dodging walkers. I kept running through the woods hoping to not get bit. I jumped up on a fallen tree and looked through the scope. I watched him go by and followed silently behind him. We came up on a small motel and he tied up Michonne. I sat back in the woods until the alarm sounded on a car. I put up my rifle and shot a few that were getting too close to Merle. They took off in the car making it hard for me to follow them. I started running after them trying to keep cover while doing it. This is bullshit.

     I stood back behind the trees and watched Merle. He stopped the car and had an expression mixed with pain and anger. Michonne stepped out and walked away. I ran after the car again and had to run across the road without her seeing me. I tripped over a log and hit my face on a rock. I wiped the blood off and wanted to scream. I came to a liquor store and saw Merle drinking in the car with the radio on. 
     "So Miranda what did you do today? Oh you know.. I babysat a drunken idiot ready to kill himself!" I threw a rock at the car as it rolled away. I followed it and found the meeting place form before. Of all the places he could find the Governor. I got on the building across from where Merle went in and waited for when he needed me. I'm not letting this place be his grave. It's not fair to any of us.
     "You better know what you're doing Merle." Once the gunfire started on the walkers he started taking them out. I went for the Governor but hit someone in the shoulder instead. I looked down and saw Merle on the ground. I took out both of the men and jumped off the roof. I heard a crack in my ankle but ran to Merle. I got behind the Governor and put the gun to his head. "Let him go." "Let's all be civil here, Miranda." He turned quickly and pinned me to the other side of the building. He pulled out a knife and put it to my throat. "You are really messing everything up." He brushed the hair out of my face with that sick smile on his face. I spit in his face and he threw me to the ground. He pulled out his gun and pulled the trigger. He spit back at me and started to walk off. "I'll be back to finish you two off soon enough." 
      Merle came over and put his hand on my stomach. "You're going to be ok Miranda." I shook my head and a single tear fell from my eye. "I was pregnant Merle.. It was Daryl's.. I can't lose another one, not his." He looked horrified when he looked at his bloody hand.
      "You won't. I'm getting you out of here. Hey! You die on me and I'll kill you." I smiled sadly and he picked me up. "Go after the Governor. Let me go Merle." "Shut up ya crazy bitch." He tried to be tough but I saw right through it. Neither of us had hope of me surviving.

      I didn't know what was more terrifying, Merle caring for someone or seeing dead people. The dead, dead people like Shane, Sophia, Lori. When I saw my Sophia in her mother's arms my heart stopped. She smiled and put her finger to her lips. I screamed and grabbed the nearest thing. Daryl's eyes met mine and everything went quiet. I held our stare until falling back down. 
     It went back to the dead. Lori held out her hand and smiled sadly. I backed up and fell to my knees. I had my hands in my hair when Shane walked over. "Come on darlin'.. It's too rough out there. You've got no one left." "Don't listen to him.." I looked over at Callie, Sophia's mother and she got on her knees with me. "Follow your heart. It will take you where you need to go." I closed my eyes and heard the soft beating. It faded with every second. I looked back at everyone and shook my head. 
    "Lori.. I'm so sorry. Callie I tried for her, I didn't know what to do. Shane, you weren't a killer. What did your heart tell you?" He kicked at the ground and scratched at the back of his head. 
    "To kill myself but I thought it would be easier to kill Rick." "Miranda you have to choose." I stood up and saw someone behind them. I pushed through them and looked down at her. She smiled and she reached up to me. "Stay with Daddy.."

     I sat up and gasped for air. I looked over and saw Daryl run over to me. He grabbed me and noticed I was still alive. It looked like he had been crying. He crushed me in a hug and Merle stood back. He smiled and left the room. Rick came in holding his gun out looking confused. "You died." "So I've learned." I put my arms around Daryl and started crying. "Come on Carl let's leave them be." Daryl took my face in his hands and looked at me. "You suck at dying." "Daryl.. I was pregnant. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you. We already have trouble with Judith." He kissed me and made me relax a little. His rough hands pulled me closer to him. "That doesn't matter now."