Chapter Five: On Your Own

We got to the car just as the building exploded. "Miranda are you ok?" "Yeah. You?" He nodded and I got in my bag. "I'm going to get my truck. I'll meet you on the road." I got out of the car and started walking. I knew walkers were going to start overrunning the place but I needed a vehicle is anything went sour. The sun was beating down on the city making me remember the times before this. I used to run around with my friends, play football on the weekends and go to the beach. Now I'm fighting for every breath I take. I didn't bother wiping the tears off my face. I needed to just be me for a while.

        It was easy getting the truck but getting gas from other cars was a lot different. It took me almost an hour. The windows were rolled down and I was on my own in the truck. It was fantastic. I was driving through when I saw a pet shop. I shrugged and got out. The lock was still on the door so I figured it was safe. I put my shirt over my mouth to protect my nose from the stench. A lot of animals were dead but some of them were still luckily alive. I poured some food in the dishes and picked out a kitten and a small puppy that were barely alive. I went in the back and found more dog food. I cut it open and tossed it into the front. I grabbed a few toys for them and left. They both fell asleep in my seat after they ate. It was sweet. 

       "Glad you finally made it." "Had to find gas." Everyone was going through cars and I pulled Rick to my truck. "Is that a cat? And a dog?"

        "It's stupid I know but they're too little to attract anything and they'll learn not to but I needed something alive, something normal." He smiled and picked up the puppy while I grabbed the bag from the back. I put it on the hood and opened it. "It's for the group. Daryl made sure we got it before we left." "That's great." We shared a smile and I went around getting more fuel and looked around for anything. I tossed a tent into my truck and found a suitcase in a van. "Carol?" "Yeah?" I showed her the suitcase and a smile spread across her face. "It's Sophia's size." "I figure she's going to need more clothes soon, Carol." She nodded just as Sophia came over. "It's so pretty." "It's yours." I put it in the car she's riding in and continued searching. 

       "Look at this!" I looked over at Shane and he found a water truck. "Mind if I take one?" "Not at all. I wanted to apologize for what happened." "Let's pretend it didn't happen." Rick came running over and got us under the cars. I grabbed Sophia and took her under a truck with me. We watched as walkers went by us. I kept my hand over her mouth making sure she didn't make a sound. It seemed like it took hours for them to pass. We were almost in the clear when her foot slipped. Two walkers tried to get under the car and I pulled her out the other side. She ran off and I chased after her. The walkers came after us. We were in deep in the woods. I held onto her hand the whole time we ran. I pulled her down into the creek and hid under a tree. I saw Rick go by and I grabbed his arm. "I'll lead them away. You need to get her back." I nodded and watched him run off with them. I picked up Sophia and put her on the ground before pulling myself up. We started heading back when a group of walkers came for us. 

         "Where are we going?" "I don't know. We need to get out of the woods." I helped her through the woods until dark. I set up a small fire just big enough to keep her somewhat warm. I kept watch while she slept.

          The moment we had enough light to see I woke her up and started moving. We walked onto the road and I looked around unable to see any cars. "How far did we walk?" "No idea. We need to get back before too many people start worrying." She slowed down and I looked back at her. "I don't feel good.."

          I sat next to her rubbing her back until she fell asleep. I sighed and looked around. It was the middle of the day and I was stuck here while she rested.

           I picked her up knowing we couldn't stay here for another three days. I walked as fast as I could without making her sick. It took me a few hours to get to the cars. There was a note on one of the cars telling Sophia to stay on the highway and wait. I walked to my truck and found instructions on where to go. I put Sophia in the truck and the kitten popped her head up. "What's her name?" "She doesn't have one. Go ahead and name her. I'll be right back." I went to the water truck and grabbed two jugs. I continued to grab them until I got about ten of them in the back of the truck. I filled it up with gas and left the highway.