Chapter Sixteen: What If..

I had to take a longer way back after someone blocked the roads. I heard a lot of shooting so I killed the motor and walked towards it. I saw people from Woodbury shooting at the prison. I climbed a tree and pushed the sniper through the leaves. I started aiming for the people in the guard towers. I aimed down at the Governor and pulled the trigger. He dodged it and I barely grazed him. I kept firing at him trying to hit him but he kept moving. That would really suck to die by a gunshot wound instead of a walker specially after living this long. I got pissed and shot him in the leg. I heard him cussing and I just wanted to laugh. I watched a truck run through the gates and everything was quiet for a few minutes. What could be in there?

    "Oh shit.." I started firing at the walkers and noticed Hershel in the field. I shot the walkers that were close to him. I looked at Rick and saw him being surrounded. I went between killing the ones around Hershel to the ones near Rick. I reloaded and went to kill another one when I saw an arrow go through it. Glenn got Hershel out of the field before he got hurt. Before getting down I looked at the damage. We lost the field. I had to walk back a mile to get the motorcycle. 

     Maggie unlocked the fence for me allowing me in. I walked inside and started cleaning my guns on the perch. They were talking about leaving or staying. I was thinking about how much ammo we needed to kill seventy people and an insane governor. Daryl still hasn't talked to me even when I brought the bike back. Merle kept looking up at me like he knew something I didn't. I loaded the guns and lined them up on the wall. I walked into the entrance where we were keeping Merle and sat down. "Hey princess."

"Sit down." He sat across from me and I handed him a glock. "You're going to get in trouble with Officer Friendly." "Leave him to me. I know you won't betray Daryl." "How do you know?"

    "Because.. I was once a lot like you." I walked outside and looked down at the tree I was in. There's no way anyone could've saw me but he knew. I opened the gate to the field and started killing the walkers there. I stood in once place looking at the broken gate. We could put the truck in front of it and take back the field. It would be harder for him to get another truck of walkers in here. They walked outside and I cleared out almost all the walkers. Rick ran down and looked at the fence. "Anyway to fix it?" "No. Let's put the two trucks in front so their trucks can't get through again. Other than that you'll have walkers in here every minute." "One truck." I nodded and Michonne walked down with Glenn and Maggie. We got behind the truck and started pushed it in front of the broken gate. 

     I packed my stuff up and Carol walked up. "Where you going?" "I'm moving to the other cell block." "Can I ask why?" "There's no point for me to be over here. I do everyone's dirty work and then I'm tossed to the side. I'll be fine."

    "But Daryl's back." "Good for him." "Miranda please stay. Just for a few more days if it doesn't get better you can go." I sighed. "You're not easy to say no to Carol." I walked by the nursery and stopped. There I was holding Sophia quietly singing to her. I felt her hand wrap around my finger making me smile. Her dark hair was growing in to match her brown eyes. It was sweet. I thought I would see her grow but I didn't. I wanted to teach her everything I knew but we didn't have that time. A hand was rested on my shoulder and I expected to see Rick or maybe Daryl but it wasn't. There wasn't anyone there.

     I pictured Daryl standing behind me while I sang her to sleep. His smile reflected in her eyes. A family.. One I've waited for my whole life but knew that chance was gone. I closed the cell and walked down to an empty cell. It was T-Dog's old one. I chose the bottom bunk since he slept on the top. All this place is, is memories.

     When I laid down pain went through my body. The wounds on my back were hurting. I changed into a tank top and laid on my stomach. It helped some but not a lot. Quietly I cried myself to sleep wishing not to wake up in the morning.

Daryl

    I heard crying coming from the second floor of cells. Everyone was pretty much asleep so I walked up to see who it was. I expected to see Carol maybe crying for the loss of her friends. Instead I saw Randy. I took a step inside and sat on the floor across from her. Her face was wet either from crying or sweat, maybe both. I was about to leave when I noticed a scar on her back. I couldn't help but move the blanket so I could see it. A few more were visible but covered by the bandage. Walking away I thought about the cabin. It was hard not to think about what would've happened if I didn't leave. Rick spent most of the day telling me about everything that happened. Randy had their back every step of the way even when she was grieving. I was a coward and left her behind.