Chapter Five

Music blasted through my speakers as I prepared myself for my party. Petra had come into my room and begged me to at least let her do my hair, so I let her. She straightened it, leaving it looking silky. I did my own make up so I could approve of it myself. I barely had applied any, just enough to make it look like Petra did something. I eyed the dress that sat on the edge of the bed. "Stupid dress," I said walking over to my dress. Swapping my clothes for the dress, I walked to the large mirror. The dress fit perfectly, and was pretty, but it didn't make me feel like myself. I felt fake. So, to personalize my outfit I added my signature leather jacket.

"Miss Harley," Petra knocked on my door.

Taking off my jacket I opened the door, "Yes?"

She handed me a box, "These are your shoes. Please do not complain, your parents want you to wear them." I rolled my eyes, but took them. She closed the door and I opened the box.

To my surprise the shoes weren't horrible. Actually, I loved them. They were black pumps, studded along the bottom. Also surprisingly, they matched my outfit perfect. I put my jacket back on and deemed myself ready. I opened my bedroom door and found guards standing in front of the door. "Can you, I don't know, move?" I asked sarcastically. A guard was about to speak but I lifted my hands up, "It was a rhetorical question." I was about to step, but they moved in front of me.

"Sorry, Miss. The Alpha and Alpha Female have strictly forbidden you to leave until instructed to do so," a guard stated. I huffed and walked into my room, slamming the door shut.

"Like that's going to stop me," I shook my head pulling the infamous rope from under my bed. I hooked it onto my window sill, and slid down. Pulling the rope down, it fell to the ground. With the rope in hand, I walked to its hiding spot. I bent down and placed it inside, covering the spot. Looking at my watch, the time read seven o'clock. Everyone must've been by the river at the party. I had about half an hour until I needed to make my appearance. Normally I would probably do something illegal, but I remembered my father's warning so I ran back towards the front door. I waved at the guards who looked shocked. "Come on guys, we have to go." They looked at each other and shrugged. "Great guards mom and dad," I muttered under my breath.

A limousine was parked in front of the house. One guard opened the door and hesitantly, I stepped in. I sat back and the car drove. Before long we reached the ballroom. I could hear music playing loudly and I opened my door. The guards led me to the back door so I could make my 'grand entrance' down the stairs, without being seen beforehand. We entered and I was left at the top of the stairs, still out of sight.

A wave of silence washed over the crowd as they looked up at me. I kept an emotionless, blank stare at the wall as I made my way down the stairs. Even the music had stopped, which I didn't really think was necessary. Murmurs erupted among the crowd as they all gossiped about me. I made my way down the stairs and stood at the bottom when my body started to heat up. My heart was racing and the word 'mate' kept playing in my head. No, I couldn't have a mate. This stupid dress.

I turned to find who my mate was and laid eyes on my arch nemesis, "You're my mate?" I asked with disgust.

"You have got to be kidding me," Ashton rubbed his temple. Everyone looked at Ashton and I, confused. "I'm rejecting you."

"Oh hell no, I reject you first!"

He huffed, "Fine we'll say it at the same time."

I crossed my arms, "It doesn't work that way genius. Someone rejects, someone accepts." People stayed silent, but I could tell they were either very confused or interested to see what would happen next. "We can't just say it at the same time." Although I wanted to reject him, I wanted to do it the correct way so there were no loopholes. He growled lowly and grabbed my arm, dragging me outside. "Let go of me!" I clawed his arm in hopes that he would let go, but he only held on tighter. He let go once we were outside. "What do you want Ashton?" I looked him right in his eyes, but it was hard since his eyes were so captivating.

"Let's be real here. You wanted to keep your 'tough girl' image. Now that we're out here, I'll start the rejection," he stared at me.

My mouth dropped in disgust and I fixed my posture, making myself bigger. "First of all, I don't have a 'tough girl' image. Second, I'll begin the rejection," I crossed my arms.

He laughed sarcastically, "I don't think so. I'm the Alpha."

"And I would've been if you hadn't pulled me away," I pushed past him. "Now if you would excuse me I need to go accept a title."