Chapter Twenty-One

"Be very careful please," the nurse insisted, "you are not completely healed yet." I finally reached the wheel chair - which I believed to be a bit excessive - and sat down. Ashton was seething at the fact that he couldn't push me out of the hospital, but the nurse told him it was protocol. When we reached the sliding doors, the nurse handed me a bag. "Here are some medications that will help with the pain and also assist in the healing process. If you have any problems give the hospital a ring and the doctor will be able to see you immediately."

"Thank you very much," I said as I took the medicine. Ashton took the wheel chair handles and pushed me out of the hospital. We made it to the parking lot and I went to stand up, but he stopped me. "I'm fine," I promised, standing up. However, I quickly lost my balance, my broken leg collapsing.

Ashton immediately caught me and smirked. "Looks like it." I rolled my eyes as he helped me into the passenger seat. "Now time to get you home and into bed."

I scoffed and adjusted in the seat. "Please, I've just been in bed for hours. I'm starving, can we get something to eat."

Ashton hopped into the car and turned it on. "I know the perfect place, but we need to stop at home first." My stomach grumbled and he looked at me. "Better make it quick."

We drove off from the hospital and I leaned against the window, the amount of drugs in my system beginning to set in during this state of rest and ease. I shut my eyes momentarily, but I quickly drifted off to sleep.

I couldn't have been asleep for more than half an hour when I felt the car stop. When I woke, it was dark. "What the hell?" I yelled. I could hear Ashton laughing, but I couldn't see him. "What is going on?"

"Relax Harley, I put a blindfold on you so it would be a surprise." He opened the car door and exited, from what I could hear. The passenger door opened and I felt Ashton grab my waist. Before I knew what was going on, I felt myself lifted. 

"Where are we going?" I tried to stifle my laugh.

Ashton began to walk. "You'll see." I wrapped my arms around Ashton's neck for added support and leaned my head against him for added affection. I could tell he enjoyed it, because I felt his heart beat against his chest.

Suddenly, I was set down gently. Ashton sat beside me, and finally removed my blindfold. When he did, I saw a beautiful scene before me. There was a lake, the water ripples shimmering in the light. The green grass was bright, accented with various vibrant flowers and plants. The sun was shining brightly, adding to the luster of the meadow. However, a large tree provided shade for us.

We sat upon a striped picnic blanket, with a basket adorning the center. "Wow," I whispered. "This is beautiful."

"Isn't it?" Ashton seemed just as enthralled with the scenery as me. "Let's enjoy this wonderful day with some wonderful food prepared by your's truly." He began to empty the basket. Ashton placed a plate in front of me with freshly-cut fruit and a pasta with vegetables. He poured us both some champagne.

"You made this?" I said, moving around the pasta with my fork. "Is it safe to eat?"

"Very funny," Ashton said. He moved closer to me, so that we were facing each other. "Now," he lifted his glass, "I say we make a toast - to us."

"To us? What do you mean?" I asked, contorting my face to display my confusion.

He inhaled deeply and then looked around us. "This meadow is where my father found my mother. I know technically we've known each other for years, and our first encounter as 'mates' didn't really go over well."

"To say the least," I muttered and he laughed.

"Really though, Harley, I'd like to make the most out of the month we have together." I studied his face, to try and understand what he meant.

It was quiet for a moment. "What are you saying?"

He sighed, "What I'm saying is that I want a chance to be normal. I know that our relationship hasn't been conventional and that we are anything but average, but will you let me have the pleasure of taking you out on a real date?"

I pretended to ponder the question and shrugged, "I guess if I have to." I laughed and he seemed to somewhat respond similarly. "I'm only kidding," I smiled, "I would love to."

"Well cheers then, to us," he said lifting his glass, "to who we are now, and to the month ahead of us." I rolled my eyes at his cheesiness, but lifted my glass nonetheless.

We sat, sipping our champagne, and watching the sun set against the glimmering lake. Despite the chaos in my life, I was happy right now. I looked at Ashton, and what I had. It may have only be for a month, but I supposed it wasn't the worst way to spend my time.