Chapter Eight

The birds chirped beside my window, but not in a pleasant way. It was like an annoying alarm clock I couldn't snooze. I wanted nothing more than to slip into the comfort of my blankets and pretend I didn't exist. "Miss Harley!" Petra chirped as she ran into the room. She bustled to the windows and tugged at the blinds, allowing the natural light to shine. I groaned and covered the duvet over my head, blocking out the light. "Time to get up. You have a big day!" She uncovered my face and greeted me with a huge smile.

I narrowed my eyes and stared at her, "I have a strange sense that you are happy about my departure." Petra placed two suitcases on the bed. "How sweet," I muttered sarcastically.

"Now, the Alpha and Luna are waiting downstairs with the visiting Alpha and Luna and their son for breakfast. Don't keep them waiting. Or so your mother said," she said. I nodded and told her she could leave. Tiredly, I rolled out of bed and quickly changed into some casual clothes. I preceded to complete my morning routine and after exiting my room, walked to the dining room.

My parents and Ashton's parents were laughing but my father stopped when he saw me, "Harley, good morning."

"Morning," I muttered. Everyone seemed to already have their food in front of them. Once I sat down they started to eat and I did the same.

"Harley," Charles spoke to me, "you're going to love the lands. Acres upon acres of forest to be explored. There's also a beautiful lake just at the edge of our territory." His words sounded like something that would be found on the cover of a summer camp brochure. "Oh and Ashton's, and soon to be your, house is great. There's a huge pool and just off the balcony of the master bedroom you have a perfect view of the sunset. Oh, it's simply amazing."

Allesandra looked at him with a smirk, "So were the nights we spent on the balcony." She giggled and kissed his cheek.

"Mom!" Ashton said horrified. She only waved a hand dismissing him, like he was acting childish. It was silent after that, but conversation quickly spurred between our parents once again.

After half an hour my mother's voice broke their conversation, "I think Harley, you should go and pack your bags. Then after that," she started to tear up and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not dying," I said. "Though I may as well be," I muttered to myself quietly, although, I don't think it went unnoticed by Ashton as he crossed his arms. My mother excused herself and I followed her out. Brushing past her, I made my way to my room and shut the door. "It's just one month. I spent three years away at school, this should be a piece of cake." After my pep talk, I threw some clothes into my suitcases, along with my toiletries.

Petra came, with two men in tow, who took my full suitcases from me. She said a quick goodbye and then continued on with her duties around the house. The men, just as they had entered, followed Petra out of my room. I picked up my small handbag, which was the only type of accessory I carried. I tossed some things for the car ride into the bag and walked to my door. Looking back at my room which I had, despite returning from three years away, only stayed in for about three days, I took a deep breath. "One month," I gritted through my teeth and placed my hand on the door handle. To my surprise I was met by Ashton at the door. "May I help you?"

"Just came to see if you were ready," he barked at me. "If you are, then let's go. I want to get this month over with as soon as possible."

"It seems that is the only topic on which we agree completely," I said as we walked down the stairs. Our parents stood at the bottom of the stairs and, like previously, rolled my eyes. "You have got to be kidding me," I said under my breath once I saw my mom wipe a tear from her eye. "Like I said, I'm not dying!"

She wiped some more stray tears and smiled, "I know, it's just so exciting and sad at the same time." My mom hugged me tightly and my father did the same. Max, the Beta, walked into the house with his son. "Oh Max you're here!" Mom turned her attention to me. "Harley, Logan is going to be filling in as Alpha while you're gone." Logan, Max's son, waved to me and I nodded.

"What about you and Dad?" I asked.

"We are accompanying Allesandra and Charles on a trip to Italy for a month to deal with pack business. We'll be back the day you are," my father said. How unfair, I thought. They got to travel to Europe while I was stuck in hell for a month. "Have a good time." He pulled me into a hug and my mother followed his actions.

I didn't even notice that Ashton and his family had left until my mother said it was time to go. "Goodbye," they both said while waving. I waved back and exited the house to see Ashton waiting for me standing at the car.

"Here goes nothing," I said walking to the car.