Chapter Twelve

Katrine and I strolled down the street, while she obsessed over how "hot" Jax was. "If only he was my mate," she fawned. "I suppose it's too late, I would've known by now." She drooped her head, sadly.

"You'll find someone much better than him. I can promise you that," I said.

She shrugged, "I wish I had something like you and Ashton." I contorted my face into one of confusion. Katrine sighed, "You both are happy with each other."

"Something like that." Katrine turned to walk into a restaurant but I resisted. "I'd rather we just ate at Ashton's house. I think I've met enough of his pack members for one day."

Katrine nodded and we walked back home. It seemed to be empty when we entered, but Katrine called out Ashton's name. Nobody responded, and she told me he was probably out. She went to the cupboards and looked through for something to eat. Katrine ordered me to go sit in the living room and wait. As I was sitting on the couch, I heard Katrine scream. I ran into the kitchen and ran right into her back. "God, Katrine what is it?" She turned around with a goofy grin and a box in her hands. "A box?" I said in a flat tone. "I wasted energy for a cardboard cube?"

She rolled her eyes, "It's not the box, it's what's inside the box." Katrine ripped the packaging off and pulled what looked to be a baking mix held in a plastic bag. "Cupcake mix!"

"I'm going back in the living room," I walked away but she tugged on my shirt and pulled me into the kitchen. "What do you want?"

"We are making these!" Katrine giggled. I tilted my head back and groaned. "Please." I sighed and nodded. "Thank you," she sang and pulled out various bowls.

Three hours, and a trip to the grocery store, later we had a complete batch of cupcakes. "Time to frost them," Katrine said. She undid the top of the frosting and started to frost her half. "You can have the blue frosting. I'll take the purple" Katrine slid the tub of frosting across the table to me.

I started on frosting, which didn't take very long. We had made about thirty cupcakes and we split them in half for frosting. "I finished," I said, licking my fingers that were covered in a bit of the topping.

"Me too," Katrine replied. "Time for a taste test." She held one up to her mouth and was about to take a bite when I smushed it into her face. Her mouth opened and a gasp escaped her lips. I laughed and she wiped frosting from her eyes. I didn't notice her take one of my cupcakes until she pressed it against my face. She then continued to smear it, so that I had frosting everywhere.

"You little," I started but she cut me off by throwing a cupcake at me. She laughed and ran, but not fast enough. I threw one of her cupcakes at her and it hit her back, then dropped onto the floor. Making a quick run for the table, she took her plate of cupcakes and ran. She hid behind the island in the middle of the kitchen. "That's what I thought." I wiped my hands, only to be pelted with another cupcake. Bright purple frosting dripped down my shirt.

We continued to run and hide, while throwing cupcakes at each other for half an hour. I silently tiptoed down the hall towards the front door, when suddenly Katrine popped up right in front of the door. I laughed evilly, and threw a cupcake at her. She ducked, and just as she did Ashton opened the door.

Katrine and I both laughed as he looked down at his white shirt which now had a permanent blue stain. "Are you serious?" Ashton growled as he walked to Katrine. "I thought you were taking her on a tour."

"I did," Katrine said innocently. "Your house was the last on the list." He narrowed his eyes. "Oh come on, have a cupcake." She lifted one from her plate, but before he could take it, she smeared it against his face.

"Katrine, I'm going to kill you!" Ashton yelled. Katrine screamed playfully and started sprinting. She tossed her empty plate onto the floor and ran up to me. Taking my hand, we ran around the house. We sprinted upstairs and peered over the railing to see Ashton in the kitchen. "What the hell?" We tried to suppress our laughs by clamping our hands over our mouths. Katrine found a half ruined cupcake on the floor and threw it downstairs at him. Just before he turned around, she tugged my arm and ran. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad here, as long as I never had to see Ashton.