Chapter Fifteen

Harley's Point of View

I wanted to say that Ashton has no effect on me. I tried to convince myself that his romantic actions were his wolf speaking, and had nothing to do with me. However, I couldn't seem to do it. In my bed, I tossed and turned, thinking about him. My goal was to surpass the mate bond and live my life freely, without being tied down to a title and mate. The conclusion I came to was that I had to increase my confidence and defiance of his rules.

Early in the morning, I snuck down from my bedroom and headed towards the kitchen. Unfortunately, I arrived in the kitchen only to see Ashton cooking what smelt like french toast. "You have got to be kidding me," I groaned as I took a seat on the black bar stool at the island. "Fate's a bitch," I murmured beneath my breath.

"That it is," Ashton replied, not turning his attention away from his cooking, "however I have a plan to make us never want to be mates." I titled my head and suddenly was more awake.

"First of all," I stood up from my seat, "I am not having sex with you." I told him bluntly, but he didn't seem phased. Ashton switched the gas oven off and turned around to face me.

He shook his head, laughing, "Trust me, having sex is the last thing I want to do with you." Though I tried to ignore it, I couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness after he said that.

"Good," I nodded, "something we agree on." He grabbed two plates from the cabinet and placed some french toast on each. "So what's your plan professor?"

We both stood, our chests pressing against the island in the middle of the kitchen. Ashton was a few inches away from me and I could feel the heat radiating off of his body. I, against my body's will, shifted away from him.

"I suggest we spend as much time together as possible in the next few weeks. We can do all the things couples do, to the extent that we end up hating each other. It's a win-win because it looks good to the pack and helps us reject the bond," Ashton suggested between bites of his french toast.

I was stunned that this was his plan, because spending more time together would also mean that the bond would grow stronger and we would only want to spend more time together. Deep in my mind, I wondered if Ashton secretly wanted to be with me. However, I pushed that thought away because I seriously doubted. More importantly though, did I want to be with Ashton?

"You can think about it," Ashton responded to my notably long silence, "and let me know later. I have to go to a meeting. I'll be home around five tonight and I'll take you out for dinner, just so you can get a feel of what it would be like."

I nodded, "Alright, dinner." I thought about it and then added, "After we have to go mini-golfing, because that's a cliche."

"I like how you think Bates," Ashton said, pushing away from the table and placing his plate in the sink. "I'll pick you up and bring flowers," he stopped for a second, "isn't that what they do in the movies?"

"I don't like chick-flicks," I answered.

He chuckled, "Well you are about to live one, except with a different kind of happy ending." Ashton waltzed out of the kitchen and left me to my lonesome.

I pushed the french toast around on the plate with my fork and sighed. Maybe he really didn't want to be with me. I supposed that ignoring my feelings would be better than getting my hopes up. The last thing I wanted was a broken heart.

After I finished my french toast, I placed my plate in the sink and headed upstairs. I entered my bedroom and fell onto the bed. Lifting my phone off of the bedside table, I checked my texts. I had one that read:

5:23 A.M. Hi honey, dad and I just wanted to see how you and Ashton are doing. Hope you are having a good time and see you soon. Xoxo, Mom.

I tossed my phone onto the opposite side of the bed and sighed. My mind drifted to the penthouse that was waiting for me if I decided to reject Ashton as my mate. My entire life could be different. I could live like a normal human, have a job, and marry someone I actually loved. Then I could have kids, if I decided to. I wanted a life with someone, I just didn't know who it would be.