Chapter Six

I pushed him to the side to reenter the party, but I was too late. My father, mother, and Ashton's parents were already exiting. The music was still blaring but I could hear the whispers inside the party. Once the door was closed, I didn't know what they were saying. "What's going on?" Mom asked breathlessly.

"He won't let me reject him first!" I complained.

"No! You won't let me reject you." Ashton remarked.

I crossed my arms and tapped my foot impatiently. "Well maybe if you hadn't come this wouldn't have been a problem."

"Like I wanted to come! I only promised to come here to make a good impression and keep our packs in harmony." He rolled his eyes, and turned away from me. "Obviously I don't need this pack's protection."

"Please, we are much stronger," I barked.

"And is that why they sent you to reformatory school?"

I lunged at him and pushed him to the ground. "You are so annoying!" I sat on top of him and slapped him across his cheek.

He swiftly moved so our positions were switched. Pinning my hands above my head he showed his canines. I kicked him off of me and stood up. I reached down and took off my shoes. With my elevated strength I threw one of my heels right at Ashton, but he dodged it. Angrily, I threw the other one and it landed in his shoulder. "Harley Annalise Bates!" Mom gasped horrified. Ashton pulled the shoe out of his shoulder and dropped it on the ground.

"Stop!" Both of our fathers yelled at us at the same time. I subtly rolled my eyes and scoffed.

"You're lucky you have your daddy's protection," I muttered, reminding myself of the pack members who said the same to me hours ago.

Ashton growled but our fathers stood in between us. "Harley this is enough! Apologize to Ashton immediately."

"No really, Eric, this is Ashton's fault," Charles said. "Ashton apologize." Ashton was about to speak but his father cut him off. "We are guests on their lands," he growled lowly to his son. Charles turned to my father, "Allesandra and I apologize greatly."

Allesandra, Charles' mate and wife, stood beside him. "Yes, truly. We have never seen our son act in such a terrible manner!" She looked at my parents, "We understand if you'd like us to leave. This is such an embarrassment."

"Allesandra, this is not your fault. If anything Harley was the one who was the embarrassment," Mom said glaring at me. "But nonetheless I do believe we should figure this out."

"I agree," Dad said intertwining hands with Mom. Charles and Allesandra nodded, holding hands as well. "I will tell everyone inside that the party will continue but we will be absent. Please excuse me for just a moment."

"Feel free to take the car back to our home, we need to talk to Harley. We will meet you there," Mom said.

Charles nodded leading his family to the car, "Yes, Ashton will be having a talking-to as well."

"I'm eighteen!" Ashton complained.

"Really? I would've guessed you were eight!" Allesandra grabbed her son's ear and pulled him into the car, while he winced in pain. I chuckled quietly.

My mother tapped her foot, "That'll be you in just a minute missy!" I shut my eyes and rolled them, so she couldn't see. "A shoe? Really Harley!" I shrugged. "I really expected more of you."

"This is your fault though! You gave me this cursed dress!" I argued.

My mother shook her finger angrily, "Don't talk about it that way. It is a family heirloom that has brought joy to this family for many generations!"

"It didn't bring me joy," I muttered quietly, but I knew she heard me.

She sighed, and stroked my arm maternally. "I know that this is all so sudden, but you might be happy later. A mate is great."

"Okay Dr. Seuss," I remarked sarcastically at her unintentional rhyming.

"You know what I mean."

I shook my head, "No I don't because I don't want a mate."

She tilted her head, and gave me a sad smile. "That's your decision." Mom held my hand and gave me a kiss on the forehead. "I hope you can make love your goal." I was confused by her sudden change of heart.

My father stepped back outside, surprised to see us hugging. "Did I miss something?" He said leading us to the car that was waiting.

"Harley doesn't want a mate," Mom said bluntly as we entered the car. The engined purred as we pulled out of the driveway of the ballroom.

"But why not?" Dad asked.

In truth I had no answer. I just didn't like the idea of being forced to love someone. Mates, to me, were unfair. "I don't know," I whispered while staring out the window.

The ten minute car ride back home was silent. At night, the forest was lit with fireflies dancing in the air. I could practically feel the cool air through my fur as I ran, navigating my way through the trees. At that moment I would've given anything to shift and go for a long and much needed run. I tried to think back to the last time I had shifted. It must've been before I left for reformatory school, because that was for humans. The entire time, those three years, my paws ached. How badly I wished I could let my wolf stretch. Yet, there was nothing I could do.

"We're home," my mom said as she exited the car.

I unbuckled my seatbelt, but sat in the car. For a split second I stared out the window and two fireflies flew next together, like they were in love. I shook my head and got up out of the car. I turned my head one more time to see the two fireflies and whispered, "I don't deserve that."