Chapter Twenty-Two

"You can't be serious," I gasped, "you definitely were the one who put frogs in my bed. Don't even try to deny it. That's the sort of thing only you would do, Ashton." The sun was beginning to set as we sat along the river. The picnic we were having turned out not to be too unbearable. In fact, we were even starting to get along.

Just for a month, I had to remind myself. I couldn't get attached to anyone or anything here - not the beautiful lands, not Katrine, and certainly not Ashton.

Ashton laughed, "Maybe it was." He took a sip of his drink and shrugged. "Maybe it wasn't." I rolled my eyes and he laughed again.

I laid down on my back, staring up at the vibrant sky. Ashton mirrored my actions and looked up. "That cloud kind of looks like a wolf," I said, pointing at the cloud I mentioned.

Ashton followed my gaze and spotted the cloud. "It looks big and strong, like me of course."

I scoffed, "Please, you wish."

Ashton turned on his side, facing me. "Oh really? As I recall, you were freaking out when we met for the first time in our true forms. Your heart beat was so fast, I thought you were having a heart attack."

I crossed my arms across my chest, and shifted slightly so that I was also propped up on one arm, like Ashton. "That's because you caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting anyone. Besides, you jumped on me, what did you think was going to happen?"

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," he responded, slightly smirking.

I narrowed my eyes and shook my head, playfully. "Oh come on, you," I started to say but my words were cut off by another voice.

"Alpha, there's an intrusion," a voice from behind me called, "and there's lots of them." I turned around to see a man not much older than Ashton and I. He was built like a warrior, with large muscles and a tall frame. I knew that he could handle a fight.

My mind instantly went to the phone call that I had had with the mysterious man on the phone. He told me to keep Ashton occupied during the invasion, or there would be consequences. I was torn. How could I send innocent people to their death when I knew that Ashton could help save them? At the same time, how could I lose Ashton? Even though I was unsure about the mate bond, I didn't want him dead.

"Where are they?" Ashton's tone of voice became serious. He sat up, looking at his pack member.

"South of the main river, just at the edge of our lands," he responded firmly.

Ashton nodded and took a deep breath, collecting his thoughts. "They haven't infiltrated into the mainlands yet. We need to keep them where they are, so nobody else gets hurt. Alert all who can fight, and don't let the intruders past the borders," he ordered.

The man nodded, "I will." Suddenly, he ran off with extreme speed.

My heart was racing as Ashton quickly began to pick up our things and place them into the car. "Careful," he instructed as he helped me up. My leg, though rapidly healing, was still broken and fragile. He lifted me off the ground and carried me to the car. I didn't fight it, mainly because no words could escape past the lump in my throat.

How was I going to get Ashton to stay away from the intrusion? It was an impossible task. Ashton was an Alpha male, he was genetically designed to lead the charge against any and all threats to his pack, lands, and title.

Ashton sped the entire drive back to his house. He was gripping the steering wheel so hard I thought that the leather was going to rip.

We made it back to his house quickly, and he drove up to the front door. He got out of the car, slamming the door behind him before he came to help me. He helped me hobble toward the front door, and into the house. We made it inside and Ashton sat me down on the couch.

"Stay here," he ordered me. He suddenly ran upstairs, leaving me to myself and my thoughts.

I weighed my options in my head. I knew what this crazed stalker of mine wanted, but I wasn't sure that I could deliver. All of my morals were telling me to let Ashton go fight with his pack. It was where he was meant to be, and I was certain that fatalities would grow if Ashton wasn't there to lead. Ashton was more than capable of handling a battle, he had done it before. He knew that intruders were a problem and had dealt with it before. What was one more time?

Just as I had come to my decision, Ashton rushed down the stairs. He was stuffing weapons into a bag as he reached the final steps. "Don't open any doors, keep the lights off, and stay silent. I'll be back," he told me.

"Ashton wait," I called as he reached the door, "be safe."

Our eyes locked and he nodded firmly. "I will," he promised before heading out the door.

As soon as the door shut, I heard the lock click. Immediately after, Ashton's car started and soon I couldn't hear the engine anymore.

I exhaled sharply and my heart was beating against my chest. What had I just done? Did I send Ashton to his death?