Chapter Seventeen (Part 1)

Dinner presented itself to be healthy for us, with hardly any insults to be thrown at each other. Ashton did, however, continue to try to relate us to a stereotypical chick-flick which proved to irritate me more than he did. "How do you know so much about chick-flicks anyway?" I asked twirling my wine glass and watching the contents spin, "Watch them often?" 

He scoffed, as if the thought was nearly impossible, "As if," he responded. It was perfect, couldn't have been anymore. Ashton walked right into a trap.

"Quoting 'Clueless' now, are we?" I lifted my eyebrow and he titled his head back in defeat. "Gotcha'," I laughed.

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes. Just as we began to eat dessert, his phone rang. 

I cocked my head to the side, "Who is it?"

"Business," he answered in a firm voice. Normally, I would annoy him and ask questions, but he seemed intent on taking the call immediately.

"I'll be back in no less than two minutes. Count on it," I nodded and saluted him with an added 'ay ay captain.' Ashton strolled to the front doors, and he looked upset. His tailored suit hugged his biceps and I found myself daydreaming a bit. I shook my head to relieve myself from the trance.

I wasn't about to wait for Ashton to return to eat, so I dug into the dessert. It was a delicious looking slice of chocolate mousse cake. I didn't realize how much time had passed until the waiter approached and asked if we'd like another slice. "No, thank you," I responded, "just the check." 

The waiter nodded and walked away. I was beginning to become nervous, as he had been gone for over fifteen minutes. I decided that were he not to be back by the time the waiter returned with the check, I'd go and check on him.

After five minutes of anxiously waiting, the waiter offered me the check. I quickly paid, sliding a hundred dollar bill into the checkbook, enough to pay for our dinner and a generous tip. The hostess waved goodbye as I exited.

"Ashton?" I called, not too loudly, as I surveyed the almost desolate parking lot. I checked my purse and pulled out my cell phone. Clicking Ashton's name, I held the phone up to my ear as I listened to the ringing that seemed to last forever.

The line stopped ringing and I heard, "Harley?" It was Ashton's voice but he seemed as nervous as I, if not more.

"Ashton," I closed my eyes, thankful to know that he was at least okay. "Where are you?"

"Listen to me Harley," Ashton said seriously, "you need to get out of here. I'll meet you at home. Take my car, the keys are on top of the hood. Get home as fast as you can, and lock the doors. Don't let anyone in, not even me. I'll get in on my own."

My heart was beating one thousand times per minute. "Ashton," my breath was unsteady, "are you okay? Where are you?" 

"Don't worry about me, please. Go home, quickly," he seemed hesitant but then quickly added, "I love you." The call ended and I blinked several times. He loved me? 

Despite all of the thoughts rushing in about his affection, I had to get to his car. I ran, my heels clicking against the ground, and a slight downpour causing my outfit to become soaked. 

Once I reached his car, I grabbed the keys from the roof and unlocked the car. I slid in and pushed the keys into the ignition. I knew Ashton had told me to hurry home, but I couldn't just leave him to fend for himself. However, I didn't even know where to start looking for him. I also didn't know the area well. Yet, I knew the right thing to do.

And so, I backed out of the parking lot and began my manhunt for Ashton. I didn't know where I was going, but I knew I was going to find him. 

~~~

Part 2 Coming Soon!