Chapter 4

Jadelyn

"Jade!" Clay calls running over to me holding up the soccer ball, causing me to grin.

"Hey!" I say smiling widely at him, he throws the ball to me and I catch it, setting it down and keeping it from rolling away with my foot.

"I figured we could play a little game? Maybe some keep away." He shrugs.

I nod. "Ooh yeah that sounds fun." I laugh.

I walk with him to the two soccer goals which the park allowed you use if their wasn't a game in progress. I set it in the middle and walked to the other side of the field. Clay took the ball first, it was simple, score and then pass it to the other person. I grin and stay put deciding to guard the goal, he gets the first point and as soon as I get the ball, I run as quick as I possibly can knowing he has the advantage because he's already pretty close to me.

After about two hours of us playing keep away or small one on one games, we finally sat down, laying on the grass. "So are you gonna play basketball this year?" I whisper as the sun fades, it was getting darker it was around 6:30 so it was the perfect time, it was cooling down and the sun wasn't too bright.

He smiles softly looking at me. "Yeah I think so. Are you happy your soccer season is over?" He chuckles and I nod eagerly.

"God yes." I say. "I mean I love the sport and I love playing but I am so done with conditioning." I groan.

He laughs. "Well after Christmas break we will be free to do whatever we want because neither of us will have sports and we'll have free time again!" He cheers and I laugh.

"It's only September!" I laugh.

He shrugs and then he starts to fumble with his fingers, I look at him confused. "Clay?" I ask softly, he'd been my best friend for eight years, I knew him pretty damn well.

"Hm?" He whispers, blushing.

"What's wrong? You got nervous." I say nodding to his hands.

He takes a deep breath. "Okay look this is gonna sound insane and I don't think I've ever been this scared in my life honestly, Jade, I'm about to shit my pants." He says sitting up letting out a nervous laugh. I sit up too. "Alright, well I dunno but I guess maybe since the end of last year, I've been noticing something and for a long time it confused me, I didn't know at all what it was, and then like three months ago, I realized it and I felt so stupid for not knowing it before hand. A-and so then I've spent the past two months thinking of how to say it and what to say a-and freaking out about ruining this thing, a-and then the last month I've spent trying to find a time to hang out with you." He blushes and by this point I was pretty confused.

"Okay but what is this thing?" I whisper looking up at him kinda worried but kinda having an idea.

"I don't know but I like you, a-a lot and I would be so happy if you'd be my girlfriend." He whispers and I gasp.

I could understand entirely how he felt, I had known this for a few years and I just kept my mouth shut because I knew that telling him would ruin our friendship and I knew I couldn't survive without Clay in my life.

"I oh my gosh, of course." I whisper blushing softly and looking down.

"Oh my god, That wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be.." He blushes and I laugh softly.

"Its pretty cool that I'm dating my best friend, aha, I mean we can skip the uncomfortable getting to know each other thing." I giggle and he laughs smiling.

"So do you think I can kiss you now?" He laughs, scooting over and smiling. I nod and laugh softly stopping before leaning in, same as he does and kiss him softly gently, slightly unsure of what to do, Clay smiles and grips my waist.

I pull away and blush brightly. "I-i'm sorry I have no clue what I'm doing." I whisper blushing.

He smiles. "No it's kinda a natural process. Don't worry you'll get better with practice." He grins winking at me.

I laugh and slap his shoulder playfully. "You kill me!" I laugh standing up. "Hey Clay?" I ask grinning.

"Hm?"

"I was wondering if maybe you wanted to go to the playground?" I ask pointing to the empty swings.

He nods. "Yeah lets go." He says taking my hand, I squeal and run to them still holding his hand. He whines but runs with me in order to keep up.

I sit on one and look up at him with puppy dog eyes. "Push me?" I ask.

He rolls his eyes playfully but starts to push me. I laugh and let him kicking my feet back and forth.

"Careful! You'll kick my dick!" He laughs.

"And that wouldn't be amusing?" I ask teasing, grinning."

"Don't you even think about it." He warns. I jump off the swing and take his hand.

We get ice cream from the ice cream truck and then walk to his car. He smiles and unlocks his car putting the soccer ball in the back, I sit in his car eating my ice cream very content.

"You know you're pretty easy to please." He hums chuckling.

I nod. "That's what my dad says too." I say shrugging. "Typically coffee or ice cream makes me very quiet and pleased." I shrug.

"I'll keep that in mind." He teases, causing me to pout.

He drops me off and walks me to my door kissing me quickly before walking away back to his car. I walk inside and smile watching him walk off the porch before turning the light off.