Chapter 8

Jadelyn

On Monday, Clay learned that the championship game in Summersville would be held on Friday, and we had made plans to drive up there together, I asked dad and he said it was fine.

I didn't think by then I would somehow manage to fail chemistry. Midterms came out on Tuesday, it wasn't my fault that Ms.Simmons hates me, and I mean hates me, honestly I do everything correctly in that class, and when I ask questions, she glares at me and condemns me for it, as if I was the stupidest person in the world. I took one quiz in her class, a ten question quiz and she drops me from a 92, an A, all the way to a 67, a D.

I sigh softly and drive home, my report card in my hand. The rest of my grades were A's. "Hey dad." I say softly sighing.

"I got the one call, let me see your report card." He says.

I sigh softly and hand the piece of orange paper to him, looking down, sadly.

"A D? You got a D? You had an A, what happened Jadelyn?" He asks sternly firmly. Shit. I know I'm in trouble when he says my full name.

I sigh. "Dad, I dunno! That teacher hates me!" I groan sighing softly, running my hands through my hair.

"Jade, that is not a valid excuse! It doesn't matter if she hates you or whatever, that does not affect how your grades average out!" He says.

I frown. "Dad, I'll bring it up, I promise, I'll do the extra credit and see if she will let me retake the quiz, I promise." I frown sighing.

"Well you're grounded until Monday, no going out with Clay or anything, do you understand?" He asks sternly.

I frown. "I guess so." I say and then realize, "What? Daddy no! Please! The championship game is Friday and Clay is gonna be so upset if I'm not there! I promised we would ride together! Dad please let me go!" I say, my tone desperate, my hands in the air, my teeth grinding a bit, the anxiety very prominent.

"You should have thought about that before you went and failed a class." He says simply shaking his head.

I groan loudly, annoyed. "DAD! IT JUST FUCKING HAPPENED- UGH YOU'RE SO ANNOYING!" I stomp upstairs my hands stretched at my sides, I never swore and I definitely didn't swear at dad, I slam my door, locking it.

I sigh softly and grab my phone, unplugging it from its charger.

'Hey. So my dad grounded me, I think that would include me not being able to go to the championship game, but i dont care i am going to that game.' I text.

'Well what does a goodie too shoes like you plan to do?'

'I'm gonna sneak out. I dont care how much trouble i get in honestly.'

'Well if your dad asks, i didn't agree with you on this cause you will just get in more trouble ya know.'

'Just pick me up two blocks away from my house.'

'Okie dokie.'

I sigh and lock my phone putting it back on my charger. I lay down and start to read again, but get distracted, starting to think about how I'm going to sneak out, I look out my window, its way too high for me to jump, dad sleeps upstairs, I could just walk out the back door, hm. I guess that'll have to do. I sigh softly, finally starting to feel bad about yelling at dad.

I walk downstairs and peek behind the corner where dad was sat on the couch scrolling through his phone. "Daddy?" I whisper sighing softly stepping out.

"Yes honey?" He asks looking up. The good thing is that dad always got over things fast.

"I just, I came downstairs, cause I felt bad for swearing at you, dad, and I don't I dunno I feel guilty and I'm really sorry for being so rude to you, dad." I sigh.

He smiles softly. "You never could stay locked up in your room mad at me for too long, not even when you were eleven." He grins and pats the spot next to him.

I pout and sit down. "I'm sorry baby, I'm not taking you seriously enough. I love you, angel and you don't need to feel guilty, I'm over it." He coos and I rest my head on his shoulder nodding softly.

"Why don't you go pick out a board game to play? Any one you want, honey." He smiles and my eyes light up.

I walk to the closet and stand on my tiptoes picking out Yahtzee, setting it up on the dining room table. I smile and sit in a seat waiting patiently swinging my feet.