Chapter 7

Jadelyn

Today is the day of the district game. This year, Johnson High School has the honor of hosting the district game, which was a pretty big deal, it would decide who moved up in the tournament, which was in another city just outside of ours. Our school had a pep rally today too. I hate those, honestly, and since Clay plays basketball, he'd be down there at the pep rally, it was for the championship district game to encourage us to come and watch the game. When you date the star player, you have to go, by default anyways, well not really, but I got to wear his shirt with his name and number on it so its worth it, not his jersey but all the players got shirts, too.

I walk to Clay's locker and smile. "Hey." I say softly smiling and looking up at him.

"Hey there cutie." He hums, shutting his locker and swinging his backpack onto his shoulders. He takes hold of my hand and smiles. "Are you coming to the game tonight?" He asks.

I nod. "Yeah I asked dad this morning and he said it was fine."

"Awesome. you want my hoodie?"

"Yes! Gimme gimme!" I whine dragging him back to his locker.

He rolls his eyes playfully. "Okay okay!" He hands it to me and I slip it on giggling.

We walk upstairs to the science classrooms, luckily our teacher let us be lab partners, cause we worked well together, apparently.

Luckily, I got to go home first. I curl my hair and pull on the shirt, it was a little big but I didn't mind. I smile happily and grab my keys and drive to the school. Trying to find a parking lot was absolute hell, everyone and I mean everyone was here, surprisingly we had a really nice student section and we had a lot of school spirit. My freshmen year I was shocked. I pay for my ticket and go sit in the student section, everyone was given poppers to pop whenever we scored threes or something like that. I took my poppers and look for Clay.

The game starts and we get a lead, thankfully.

By the time half time rolled around, I stand up and clap my hands to the beat like all the other students, cheering and stuff. I feel someone tap me on the shoulder, its Clay. I squeal and smile turning around and hugging him, despite how sweaty he is. "You need to be back there! The coach will die if he doesn't or can't find you!" I laugh.

"Oops! Sorry, I just wanna see you." He shrugs and smirks, kissing me softly, I blush as some guys, friends of Clay's whistle. I pull away and he jogs off waving behind him.

I roll my eyed and sit down with everyone else, a girl walking over to sit beside me. Said girl had platinum blonde hair, and it was certainly dyed, dyed badly, so I realized what type of girl she was. I look over at her. "Hi.." I say awkwardly, looking at her.

"Uh hey, so like are you dating him?" She asks looking me up and down.

"Who?" I ask laughing, paying no attention to her, more worried about the game, girls like her were typically rude.

"Clayton."

"Oh yeah." I say, cheering as we score another goal.

"Wow." She mumbles more to herself, but it wasn't like I couldn't hear her.

I roll my eyes and shrug. "He thinks I'm beautiful and I think he is handsome so you know it works." I say simply.

"Right I'm sure that's how it works." She scoffs, standing up and walking back to her group of semi fake looking friends.

I frown softly and look down. I sigh softly and finish watching the game, walking down the bleacher steps, walking to Clayton, once he's dressed in his fleece sweat suit, it had our school emblem on the thigh and the left part of the chest.

"Hey babe." He says shaking out his hair, it was wet.

"Hey." I say sadly.

"What's wrong, buttercup?" He asks, taking my hand and waving to the basketball coach, his name was Coach Smith.

"Oh I just, a girl she uh, she kinda called me ugly, and its been on my mind is all." I whisper, shaking my head to let it run off me, almost, even though it didn't work.

Clay frowns and walks out to his car, I agreed to drive him home, we were highschoolers, car pool and saving gas was always a good idea. He slips into the car and puts his hands over mine. I sigh and turn to him. "Listen to me, I think you are absolutely beautiful and nothing these people can say is going to change my mind, they're all just rude and jealous of you, alright? There is no point in even listening or giving them your time, all right?"

I look up and blush softly. "Right. I just little things like that, they get to me sometimes ya know?" I whisper and he nods.

"Of course I know, I've known you forever, you are my best friend, remember?" He grins.

That makes me smile. I nod again and start my car, driving him home and giving him a quick kiss goodbye. It was only 8:00 by the time I dropped him off, I call dad.

"Hey daddy, I was wondering if you made dinner? I was gonna pick up some food if you want, I'm close to taco bell and that sounds good to me." I say setting my phone in a cup holder on speaker phone.

"Oh hey honey, I thought you'd eat at the game so I haven't ate yet, alright, so yeah bring some taco bell home, you know what I want hm?" He asks.

"Of course I know what you want!" I laugh and nod.

"Alright, bye love you, be safe." He says.

"Love you too."

I drive to Taco Bell, get our order, which was huge but its super cheap, I spent less than twenty dollars honestly.

I drive home and smile setting the food on the dining room table, dad was a big stickler about always eating at the dinner table, unless I had friends over, then he'd let me eat upstairs with my friends.

"Did you all win tonight?" Dad asks, smiling.

I nod happily. "Yeah! We did! It was super fun! They gave everyone poppers and we'd all take turns popping them." I explain chuckling softly, taking a bite of my quesadilla, wiping my mouth as the jalapeno sauce seeps through and runs down.

"Well good. I'm glad you had a good time." He says nodding.

I throw my trash away and wash my hands, going upstairs taking my makeup off and getting in the shower, I towel dry my hair, slipping on some fuzzy pants and one of dads old t-shirts. I comb out my hair and pull it into a pony tail. I lay down and turn my lamp on, reading a book as I fall asleep.