Chapter Twelve

I felt like floating. No, I felt like flying. That kiss was more than I had ever imagined.

"Hey Alli!" Soda called from the kitchen, breaking my train of thought. "Where've you been all day?"

I paused for a moment. "Dally and I went into town and terrorized the locals for a while," I said smoothly, "You know, the usual."

"That's my sister," he laughed, messing up my hair.

~~~~~~~~~~

After dinner, I headed to my room and pulled on my pajamas. I put on a plain black t-shirt and an old pair of red flannel pajama pants that used to belong to Sodapop. I smiled to myself in the mirror while I brushed my hair.

I had kissed Dallas Winston. Just remembering the kiss made my heart flutter. I finally knew how Dally felt about me, I finally knew what was in his eyes every time he looked at me, and I had never been happier. Dallas Winston said he loved me. And I loved him too. I couldn't stop smiling, I would never stop smiling. I set down my brush and started putting my hair in a side braid.

Suddenly there was a knock at my window. I almost jumped out of my chair as I spun around to look at the window at the opposite side of the room. Seeing who was knocking, I ran across the room and threw open the window.

"Dallas what the hell are you doing?" I said in a loud whisper.

"Calm down," he hushed me, climbing through the window.

I stepped back to let him through, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm going to see Pony and Johnny tomorrow," he said quickly.

"What?" I asked, crossing my arms.

He took a deep breath, "I am going to where they are hiding out to see how they're holding up."

"You're going to see them?"

"Yes," he nodded. "And I need somewhere to lay low for the night, Buck's place is too noisy and I can't fall asleep behind the wheel tomorrow."

"I would say we have a couch you can use but if that were the case you wouldn't be climbing through my window," I said mischievously.

"So can I stay?" Dally asked, nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

"If my brothers find out they're going to kill you," I threatened. Dally smirked. He tossed off his jacket and kicked off his shoes before climbing into my bed. I quickly finished braiding my hair and secured it with a hair tie. Once I got into bed I pulled the blankets up to my chin.

Dally wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me close. I gladly snuggled up to him. "Dally will you please tell me where they are?" I asked.

"Doll I already told you I can't," he answered simply.

"So you can tell me you love me but you can't tell me where my brother and Johnny are?" I questioned.

Dally smiled, "Being in love with you can't get us all tossed in the cooler."

"It ain't like i'm gonna tell anybody," I argued.

"I'm sorry Alli, I can't tell you."

"You're an ass Dallas," I huffed, turning around so I was facing away from him. 

"Come on doll, don't be mad," Dally sighed, gently kissing the back of my neck.

I giggled, "Stop that, that tickles!"

"What? You mean this?" he asked mischievously , kissing down the back of my neck.

I spun around to face him again, "Behave, Dallas Winston!"