Prologue

prologue

I saw a tall, pretty brunette walking through the pound  She looked at the cages carefully with her hands out.  I knew what she was doing; she was looking for dogs like me.  I went to the front of the cage and wagged my tail like there was no tomorrow.

Truthfully, there probably wasn’t going to be a tomorrow for me if no one adopted me.  They would kill me like they had to so many others.  When a girl walked up to me, I licked her and nodded twice, she knew my secret.  She started talking to me, and telling me to be quiet.  Looking around quickly, she whispered to me “Purfect, brown hair, brown eyes, medium size, they will love you"  She was muttering, and reading my profile.  Her eyes got big. "Female, even better.  There will be a redhead, she will come; and if you are nice, and lick her hands, she will get her dad and her brothers to see you, they will get you and to you home.”  I shook my head, not understanding how she could know all of this, but I nodded quickly.  Then I relized she was a magic maker.

I waited for the redhead to come, wondering if the pretty woman with the honey-blonde hair had been lying.  As soon as a redhead in a blue shirt came up to me however, I knew that it would all be ok.  However when I licked her and was nice to her, her mom pulled her away.  I guessed that it was the wrong redhead, but my faith was rejuvenated in the blonde.  Later, a few hours later, another redhead came to the cage, cooing me.  I did as the blonde woman had said and licked her happily.  The redhead called all of her family and they adopted me from the hell that humans called the pound.