Chapter Two

🔺Carter 

*Carter*

  "Your gonna regret this Cain," the guy in the cell yelled as I walked away.

  "Sure I am," I yelled back slamming the door to the cells shut. "Bastard."

  "Another one in the bag," Jake laughed writing the name down in the binder.

  "What's next?" Brice asked leaning against the wall.

  "Nothing," boss says walking over to us. "You boys have been working none stop for the past five years. Go home and don't show your faces around here for at least the next eight weeks."

  "Yes sir," we said as watched as he headed to the cells.

---

  "What are you guys planning?" Jake asked as we sat around the apartment.

  "I'm going to take Becca on a surprise trip," Brice said.

  "Lucky," Jake grumbled. "I've got to go home my parents would hunt me down and kill me if they knew I was on break and didn't come visit."

  "What's your plans Carter?" Brice asked.

  "Dunno," I shrugged finishing my beer.

  "I have an idea," Jake yelled jumping up. "You could go find your girl."

  "Excuse me?" I asked, "I do not have a girl."

  "Yes, you do." Jake says running down the hall.

  "What the hell is he talking about?" Brice asked confused and I shrugged standing up.

  "FOUND IT!" Jake yelled before he tossed a picture frame at me.

  "What the...STAY OUT OF MY STUFF," I growled glaring at him.

  "Yeah, Yeah." he waved me off. "Her name Daniella, right?"

  "What...How did you?" I questioned.

  "You talk when your really drunk," he shrugged. "Why don't you track her down."

  "No," I said rubbing my thumb over her face.

  "Why? Is she married?"

  "Jake," I growled. "Shut up before I smash your windpipe."

  "Calm down you two," Brice said. "Jake shut up. Carter who's the mystery girl?"

  "I don't have to explain myself to you," I growled storming out of the apartment and headed to the roof.

  "They don't understand," I mumbled staring at the picture, remembering when it was taken.

---

  "It's freaking cold," she shuddered and I shrugged pulling her to a booth in the back.

  "I'll go order some hot coco," I smiled walking over to the counter.

  "Carter," Sam says when he notices me. "Let me guess two hot chocolates and a plate of something sweet."

  "Yep," I smiled at the man who gave me a chance.

  "I'll bring it to you kids in a moment," Sam smiles ruffling my hair and I rolled my eyes heading back to my princess.

  "Someone needs to tell Zane he shouldn't let his daughter hang out with that boy," one of the older ladies scoffed as I walked by.

  "Yeah," her companion agreed. "That boys going to end up just like his father. A killer."

  "Maybe you should mind your own business," I grumbled under my breath sliding up beside Dani.

  "What?" she looked up me scrunching her nose up.

  "Nothing," I smiled. "Whatcha reading today?"

  "His Texas Bride by Deb Kastner," she smiled going back to her book.

  "Any good?" I asked, "Thanks Sam."

  "Romance," she mumbled not looking up.

  "Of course it is," I chuckled grabbing her drink holding it under her nose. "Hot coco?"

  "Yes please," she smiled laying her book down. After we finished our snack she laid her head on my chest reading her book again.

  "Read to me," I mumbled resting my chin on her head.

  "Ok," she smiled. 

  At some point I had fell asleep and when I woke up she was gone and there was an envelope on the table,

  'You fell asleep on me, Car. Not very nice. Anyway, I had to go, Aunty Casey and Uncle Zach came to take me home. Hope your nap was good. <3Dani'

  "Sorry princess," I smiled looking at the picture that the letter was folded around.

---

  "Carter?" Brice shook my shoulder bring me out of my thoughts. "Man I've been calling your name for the last five minutes. What's up?"

  "Just thinking," I mumbled.

  "Cute pic," he chuckled looking at the picture in my lap. "Who is she?"

 "She used to be best friend," I sighed.

  "Used to?"

  "I left six years ago to show people that I wasn't my father," I groaned. "I really don't want to talk about it."

  "Alright," he sighed standing up. "Why don't you go back? Visit family or something, just don't stay in the apartment while we're gone."

  "Maybe," I sighed standing up. "Shouldn't you be packing?"

  "I was but you've been up here for three hours," he laughed. "Got worried."

  "Dumbass," I chuckled shoving his shoulder. "Go, and give Becca a hug for me."

  "Get your own girl and leave mine alone," Brice said shoving me into the wall before slamming his bedroom door.

  The next morning I was staring at the photo before I realized that maybe it was time for me to go back home. Throwing a bunch of clothes in a bag a locked the apartment and made my way to my truck. "I just hope you'll listen to me," I mumble starting my truck and headed out of the city.

---

{Quote:

"Forever used to sound like a curse. Now it feels like a promise."

<3Tod Hudson[Soul Screamers by Rachel Vincent]}