Chapter Thirteen

*Dani*

After talking with Jackson felt a lot lighter, talking to him was about as easy as talking to Sam. Right now Jackson and his wife Linda were out so Jake, Jack, Liam, Landon, Carter and I were all piled up on the couch watching a movie when I heard my phone ring.

"Dani," Justice said when I answered.

"Justice what's wrong?" I asked when I heard the panic in her voice.

"The bookshop... It's was...is...the was a fire at the bookshop," Justice stumbled over her words.

"WHAT!?!" I yelled, "Was anyone there? Was anyone hurt?"

"No," I breathed a sigh of relief.

"How bad is the damage?"

"Front corner of the store two shelves were burned pretty bad but that's it," Justice said and I nodded.

"Alright," I said looking over when I realized everyone was watching me. "I'll be back sometime in the morning to check everything out."

"K, I'll tell Brandon and your dad."

"Thanks Justice. I'll see you tomorrow."

"What happened?" Carter asked.

"Wild Cherry caught fire earlier," I sighed. "From what Justice said there's not too much damage but..."

"We'll fix it," Carter said hugging me.

"Yeah," Jack said. "Wild Cherry is your life, therefore we can pitch in to help."

"Help with what?" Looking over I saw Jackson and Linda.

"Dani's bookstore caught fire earlier," Jack said. "I was telling her we'd help fix the damages."

"Of course we will," Jackson said. "We'll leave in the morning."

"You don't have too," I said looking at them.

"We wouldn't offer if we didn't want to," Linda said smiling. "But if we want to leave early then we should all go to bed."
---

"Dani wait," Carter yelled after me when I bailed out of the car before it stopped.

"Mama, Mom, Daddy, Dad," I yelled when I saw my parents.

"Dani," Mama and Mom yelled pulling me into a hug.

"Sweetie are you okay?" Mom asked.

"I'm alright," I smiled hugging them. "How bad is the damage?"

"Lost a bunch of books and the kids corner got the worst of it," Mama said and I nodded.

"Do you know what caused the fire?"

"Molotov Cocktail," Uncle Zach said holding up a bag with broken glass and some fabric. "I recognize it. Same thing that blew up Casey's car."

"Why would someone try to burn the bookshop?" Daddy asked.

"Don't know but we found this on the counter," Uncle Zack said holding up an envelope. "It's addressed to Carter."

"Let me see that," Carter said grabbing I and pulling out a note. "Motherf**ker."

"Carter," I said grabbing his arm. "Who's it from?"

"The reason you got attacked," Carter said. "I've have to make call, stay right here."

"Okay," I mumbled watching him walk off only to jump when Dad growled.

"What did he mean by that?"

"Umm," I stuttered before pointing at Jake. "He'll explain, Jack come with me."

"What's the rush?"

"Dad's gonna kill your brother and I want to see Sam," I mumbled quickly crossing the street.

*Carter*

"He tried to burn down Wild Cherry," I told Brice. "And he hired Brant to kill Dani. I don't know what to do and I can't figure out his next move."

"We're on our way back," Brice said. "Becca's mom called and she wants to be there for her sister. So we should be back with in the next three to four hours."

"Alright," I sighed glancing behind me to see Dani's dad's ganged up on Jake. " Gotta go, Jake's surrounded by Dani's dad's."

"Later," Brice said and I hung up.

"She was attacked because you pissed some guy off," Zane yelled.

"I didn't...He's just...Carter," Jake stuttered.

"She was attacked because of me," I said. "My boss said he had it under control, but apparently he doesn't. I would never willingly put her in danger. But I'm not leaving her again so don't even try to tell me that."

"If she so much as gets a scratch we will kill you," Travis growled before walking off.

"I thought they were going to kill me," Jake muttered.

"They would," I shrugged. "All of them except Zach, the fireman has done time in the field. Let's go find Dani and Jack."

"Any idea where they went?"

"Yeah," I said.

"What the..." Jake said when we walked into the diner.

"Jackson," Sam said wide eyed.

"Sam," Jackson whispered.

{Quote:
"I'm surrounded by idiots." -Scar(Lion King)}