Chapter 23.

"No." Was the only word that came out of my mouth.

I felt like a stubborn little child who was just told she can't have sweets and was being told to walk away from them. But in this case, I was being told I was the daughter of the bad people the people who I was meant to capture or kill if needs be.

No, I couldn't be the daughter of kidnappers... But I just don't understand.

"We didn't start off as kidnappers, originally we were thefts and good ones at that. We travelled the world stealing a few pictures here and few diamonds there enough to get by for a year or two." The older man says... My father.

"It was for you two, your brother and you. You had whatever you needed growing up. We were wanted we knew that but we kept you safe, that is until they got you those son of a bitches took you in the middle of the night while we were on a job!" The woman sobs at the end turning to look away pacing back and forth to try and get it together.

"I left you with my father, he used to be part of our little group. He would look after the two of you while we went out and took what we needed. That night they finally found where we were hiding out, they attacked that night. You were just a baby while your brother was a toddler my father was able to hide him and as he was coming to get you that's when they shot, They killed my father your grandfather." He takes a moment to compose himself so he won't end up like his wife.

"They took you, they took you out of your crib and stole you from us. They're the real kidnappers here they stole you from us, from your real family." The young guy finishes it off for them, a darkness in his eyes as he says it.

"The people you work for took you from us and kept you hidden, there the bad people here not us. We just wanted you back." The woman says brushing her hand down my face in a loving way, it just made me feel uncomfortable.

I had been lied to this whole time. I was never not wanted, I was taken from my real family and made to hunt them. They were going to let me kill them if needs be.

I'm sitting in silence not ready to say anything, just because I was taken did not make these people any better, after I left they started kidnapping.

"Why did you start kidnapping children?" My voice just loud enough to hear in this empty room.

"We were looking for you, at first we were taking babies your age from fellow CIA agents we found out about, whoever was your age at the time and fitted your description growing up." My... father tells me.

"Then one day we caught an agent, we got what we needed from them. They told us you were hidden in a family in the CIA becoming an agent, we just had to keep up the kidnapping until they put you on the case, we knew they would dangle you out to us. This whole time Brooklyn was never the subject you were." My mother takes over, a smile on her face at the fact she was right and had got me back.

"We just needed to make sure you were really Shay first, not some random they were trying to tease us with." Their son my brother tells me.

"Penelope...who do you work for?" Brooklyn asks his voice low scared almost.

"You don't even know." The young guy laughs at Brooklyn.

"I'm a member of the CIA, I was put on your case after the first attempted kidnapping. I was there to keep you safe, My family and I, we're all on the case, me to become your friend and keep you safe in school while the twins snoop around trying to find anything that's not right." I tell him thinking it was better coming from me than them.