Chapter 2: Ugly Girl

Kayla was 6 years old this year and was an amazing first grader to her teacher Ms. West. The kids always chose her as their partners for activities; listened to her when she spoke; played with her during recess; and thought she was very nice and friendly. The students actually loved her more than her own family and that's why Kayla highly admired school this year.

One afternoon Kayla came home with a big smile on her face. She walked to the kitchen and surprisingly she saw her parents. Since she didn't notice the nanny around, she threw on brakes and began heading for her room. Suddenly, Calvin hollered for her to come sit down and talk about her school day. It was abnormal for Kayla to talk to her parents because she doesn't talk to them about school at all. Actually she doesn't talk to them about anything. Only Asia has off the wall conversations with them.

"How was your day ?" Calvin asked cutting up grilled chicken.

"It was great." Kayla smiled really big.

"Why was it so great?" Jasmine asked giving her eye contact.

"Because my teacher likes me and the class thinks I'm amazing. A boy called me beautiful today at recess. I'm happy .... Calvin cut her off.

"Listen." Calvin put the scissors down. "YOU'RE AN UGLY GIRL AND YOU'LL NEVER BE LIKE YOUR SISTER!!!" Calvin hollered. "Do you understand me?"

"Yeah I heard every word." Kayla looked down.

"You can go now. I heard enough." Calvin continued to cut grilled chicken.

Jasmine didn't like him doing that to Kayla secretly. She knew that "preachers" should not be telling their kids they're ugly just because of their skin tones. He's always judging people and God never judges people. He wasn't following the preacher role. Kayla treaded up the stairs as Asia zoomed down happily past her. Kay watched her go down and instead of going to her room , she sneakily tailgated behind Asia. As she followed her older sister, she recognized her heading to the kitchen as well. Kayla stood by the kitchen door and listened to Calvin praise Asia.

"Hey beautiful!!" Calvin smiled hugging Asia tight.

"Hey daddy." Asia sat in front of her parents.

"How was school?" Calvin gave her full eye contact while smiling.

"Amazing. I talked to a lot of girls about having a sleepover. I want to invite ten girls to my sleepover." Asia smiled. "Can we have one here?" Asia asked confidently knowing he was gonna say yes.

"Yes of course." Calvin exclaimed. "We can buy a bunch of snacks and fun things for the girls."

"Oh thank you daddy!!!!" Asia screamed hugging her daddy. " Oh we can't have Kayla here." Asia whispered as Calvin agreed.

Kayla was flooding in tears as she listened. Her own father was treating her horribly and treating Asia better. Kayla understood everything that happened to her because she was ugly and Asia was beautiful. She didn't know why she was ugly , but she believed her father was correct. Kayla went upstairs to her room and sobbed on her soft pink bed. She just couldn't understand vaguely what was going on. Kayla wondered where she would be staying during Asia's sleepover. She wish she could stay , but she knew that Asia didn't want anybody to know that she was her sister. She hoped she could go to her Aunt Katie. She's the only aunt that treats her right to be honest.

Two hours later, it was dinner time and the family sat at the kitchen table as usual. They had grilled chicken salads for dinner. As they masticated their dinner , Calvin decided to make a slick joke to Kayla.

"You know eating chicken makes your skin more darker Kayla?" Calvin pointed to Kay. "Don't eat too much of that chicken because you're already dark."