Chapter 17: College

The day finally came where Kayla was entering the real world. Nobody was holding her hand anymore. No one was gonna tell her when to get up for school or help her study. She was going to be on her own now. Even though, Dominique was going to be around she couldn't make choices for Kayla. This is the day where Kayla is verified as a freshman at NYU.

Kayla was standing in a long line full of students waiting to get their schedules. Some people seemed very excited and ready to start school as others were nervous and wanted to go back home. As the line continued to move, Kayla's heart started to beat faster. In less than 10 minutes , she stood in front of a brown skinned woman. The woman looked like she was in her mid 30s. She wore her hair in a bun in the back and she wore glasses.

"Hello. Freshmen right?" The woman said in a happy tone.

"Yes." Kayla smiled.

The woman found the stack of schedules for Freshmen's. "What's your last name?"

"Richmond."

The woman scanned quickly through the schedules. "Kayla?"

"Yes ma'am."

The woman handed her the schedule and told her to have a great first year. Kayla smiled and told her thank you. She then headed over to Uncle Lenny's car and hopped in. Uncle Lenny drove Kayla to the apartment that she was staying in. As they arrived to the room, Kelsiee burst into tears. Her emotions began to overflow because she thought about how she won't see her mother every morning. Kayla tried to comfort her as she rocked her on the mocha colored couch. As she listened to Kelsiee cry, she had broke down too. They both sat there crying together as Uncle Lenny continued bringing Kayla's things inside. After he finished bringing all of her necessities in, he calmed Kayla down by telling her that Kelsiee could call/video chat at anytime. That sort of made her feel better.

"Kelsiee, I love you sooo much." Kayla embraced her softly. "You're so beautiful and always remember that."

"Okay. I love you too mommy." Kelsiee wiped her face. "You're beauty too." Kelsiee smiled as she held on to her mother. "I won't fowget you. I Prwomise."

"Thank you and good I won't forget you either." Kayla froze. "Oh. When you go to preschool, have fun and be good for mommy."

"Uncle told me that alrweady. I make friends too rwight?" Kelsiee raised her eyebrows.

"Yes you can, but listen to the teacher too. When she says be quiet, what do you do?"

"Be quiet. I got this mommy." Kelsiee giggled. "You be good too. Hehe."

"Okay. I will." Kayla giggled.

"Now, Kay I trust you and believe you will be okay. But." Uncle Lenny picked Kelsiee up. "Some tips. When you go to a party, keep your drink in your hand. Don't let no one slip something in your drink."

"Gotcha."

"Be careful at clubs and at night in general." Uncle Lenny nodded.

"Okay."

"Remember to keep up with your studies and don't get behind. I want you to stay here and I don't want to have to come here and take you back to LA." Uncle Lenny raised an eyebrow.

"I know. That's what I'm here for." Kayla embraced her uncle. "I'm going to miss you. Tell Charity I said hi."

"I'm going to miss you too and I surely will. She told me to tell you good luck on this year."

"Aww. Well I'll see you guys during Thanksgiving." Kayla nodded.

"Alright."

Kayla embraced Kelsiee once more making her cry again. Uncle Lenny teared up a little too and embraced Kayla as well. He had to break apart the mother and daughter moment sadly because they had to catch their flight back to LA. Kelsiee and Uncle Lenny said their last goodbye and made their way out. As they were leaving, Dominique and Aaron came in with her things. After Dominique put her things down, she hugged Kayla excitedly then walked back with Aaron to get her other things.