Chapter 31: Thank You.

Kayla was sitting in a nearby Starbucks waiting to speak with Devon. She hasn't seen him and Michelle face to face since the birth of their baby girl last year---they had her out of wedlock. As she began taking another sip of her mocha, Devon and his little girl Laila appeared in front of her eye.

Kayla rose up from her seat and softly greeted Devon with a hug.

"Hii how are you?" Kayla said in an enthusiastic tone.

"I'm pretty good. What about you?" Devon smiled as he spoke and took a seat across from Kayla.

"Better than ever. I just have to say thank you for helping me put this book together. It is making an impact on so many women." Kayla smiled brightly. "I'm just really happy with my life right now."

"Aw you're welcome Kay. I felt like you needed a push ya know? I've been hearing a lot of good things about your book by the way. I'm glad life is getting better for you because you deserve this." Devon held onto Laila on his lap.

"Yeah I know. Your daughter is so adorableee." Kayla said in an awed tone.

"Thank you. She's our little princess." Devon pulled a cup out of Laila's bag and handed it to her.

"We need to get together because I haven't seen you guys in forever. Kam still living with you guys?" Kayla asked in an interested tone.

"Yeah. She babysits Laila for us, but she thinking about getting her own place." Devon nodded.

"Awww, I might ask her to babysit the twins sometime." Kayla said in a joking fashion.

"I bet Christian and Danielle are a handful." Devon chuckled. "Like you said we do need to get together. I wanna know what's been going on since this book."

"Trust me. They are so energetic. Nick and I adore them." Kayla took another sip of her mocha.

"Awe so is Laila. How's Kelsiee?" Devon asked in a relaxing tone. He was happy that Kayla was finally feeling great about herself.

"She's great Dee. I feel like a proud parent because she's growing up so fast. Kels is on the cheerleading squad and she just had her first full practice this week. I'm so happy for her." Kayla squealed in full excitement.

"Woww I couldn't picture Kels being a cheerleader and how old is she now?" Devon leaned up closer to listen to Kayla.

"I know me too and she's 11 now." Kayla smiled.

"Whoaaa 11? Where have I been?" Devon scratched his head.

"Exactly, but yup that's my baby. She's taller than I was at her age. Kels is 5'4 now." Kayla spoke in an astonished tone.

"Wow. We gotta come over and see you guys. Maybe Laila could play with the twins." Devon smiled brightly.

"Yes, if you guys aren't busy..tonight you guys could come over. We won't be doing anything." Kayla suggested.

"Alright. If Michelle isn't tired when she comes home from work, we'll make our way over. Same house?" Devon asked as Kayla nodded.

Kayla and Devon sat inert quietly. They began to look around as Laila would coo a little. Suddenly, Kayla had the need to ask Devon about Aaron. She wanted to know if they were talking again. Last time Kayla remember them talking was before Dominique's wedding.

"So Dee, can I ask you something?" Kayla asked innocently as Devon nodded swiftly. "Are you and Aaron speaking again?"

For a moment, Devon didn't say anything. He just stared at Laila in his arms. Slowly, his eyes met back with Kayla's. "Nah, I see him at the hangout house sometimes when I go. We don't speak though."