Chapter 24: Talk.

Two years before...

During Kayla and Kelsiee's summer visit in California, Kayla didn't only visit Uncle Lenny and Charity. She decided to visit her father in prison alone. Although her father hurt her in the past, she wanted to know why Calvin brutally beat her daughter. She walked into the prison and headed for the receptionist desk.

"Hello how may I help you?" The receptionist smiled.

"I made an appointment to visit Calvin Richmond." Kayla smiled as she signed in on a clipboard

"Oh okay. Yes , he's been waiting for you. Walk straight on the hall behind me till you get to the fourth door." The receptionist directed Kayla.

As Kayla walked to where the receptionist instructed her, she began to wonder how he would act, what was he gonna say, and would he make small jokes about her skin tone. Kayla finally arrived into the visitation room. There Calvin was, sitting at a table alone. He looked kind of depressed and tired. Kayla walked over to his table as he slowly lifted up his head to look at her.

"Hi." Kayla smiled nervously as she took a seat across from Calvin.

"Hey." Calvin said in a quiet tone as he turned his head.

The two sat there in silence not knowing that they were wasting time. In 3 minutes, Kayla began to speak. She was a little nervous still, but maybe it would make him think about what he's done.

"So why'd you brutally beat my daughter?" Kayla asked calmly.

"Ugh do we...."

"Yess. I wanna know." Kayla cut him off snarling. "Do you really despise me that much dad?"

Calvin looked down. "I just felt like hurting her because she was your kid, but it wasn't just me Kay. Your sister helped."

"She's done nothing to you." Kayla teared up. "I'm sorry I didn't come out the way you imagined, but I'm proud of myself because I've been the best without you and mom. I've been the best mother and best single parent ever." Kayla scoffed. "What did Asia do to my baby?"

"She...um just kept calling her ugly , stupid, and other words . She told her she would never be anything. Asia punched her around too." Calvin stared into Kayla's eyes as if he was about to cry.

"I can't believe you and her would team up on my baby like that. You're just so evil. I wanna wish that you rot in hell, but that isn't what God would want." Kayla said in an angry tone.

"I deserve that."

"I don't understand why you've always treated me badly. I have NEVER hurt you, never called you out of your name, and I always tried to make you happy when I was living at your house." Kayla said in sad tone. "I cleaned up, I would sometimes make breakfast at 12 years old, and you know what I recently did for you?"

"Bailed me out for DUI." Calvin murmured.

"Yeah and you sit here and treat Asia like a princess." Kayla rolled her eyes. "Who else came to visit you?"

"Nobody, but you." Calvin looked down fiddling with his fingers. "I can't believe Asia."

"Ma'am it's time for you to go." The deputy tapped Kayla's shoulder.

"Yes sir. You think about whose the daughter that supports you the most. Think about everything I said dad." Kayla pushed the seat in and watched the officers guide Calvin back to his cell.

An hour later, Kayla wasn't done investigating about what happened to Kelsiee. She knew Asia wouldn't answer her phone calls, so she asked Uncle Lenny to call her and schedule a place to meet up. Of course , Asia accepted Uncle Lenny's invite. 30 minutes after Uncle Lenny called for Kayla, she made her way to the mall. As she arrived in the food court, she quickly spotted Asia eating a slice of pizza.