Chapter Three

That night, I drown myself in my sorrows. I sit in my favorite chair in Angel and I's apartment, reading the pages of Alice In Wonderland.

Needless to say, it only made my depression worse.

An hour into reading, the door opens with a loud creak as Angel walks in, looking drained of all her energy.

"Wow, what happened to you?" I ask concerned.

Angel groans and flops down on the couch. It's only when I snap shut my book that she looks up.

"You're not mad at me, right Katrine?"

I lean back and sigh, "No, no really. But I am confused. Who's Natasha?"

Angel sighs and turns onto her back.

"I am."

"So, who were those men?"

Angel throws her arm over her eyes and responds tiredly, "My boss and coworker."

"Of Shield, right?"

Angel replies, "Yes, SHIELD. Fury is the director."

Why was I just now hearing about this?

Three sharp pronounced knocks come from the door and I jump up to answer it.

Looking through the little hole in the door, as Angel taught me to do, I scowl when I couldn't see the person's face.

Deciding to risk it, I open the door only to see a very tall man standing there. I mean come on, I was about five foot ten inches, and he was looming over me.

I look up into his face, "How's the weather up there?"

He chuckles shortly and asks, "Where's Natasha? Might I be able to speak with her?"

I step to the side letting the well built man into the apartment, "She's sleeping, but if you try to wake her, don't say I didn't warn you."

The man takes one look at me, then Angel, but decides to take my advice.

"Tea or Coffee?" I ask him.

he smiles slightly, "Coffee please Ma'am."

He's polite. Wow.

The corners of my lips move up into a small smile, and I reply, "Katrine."

"Excuse me?"

"My name is Katrine."

I hold out my hand and the man shakes it gently, as if he is afraid of his own strength.

"Steve."

---------------

I set the coffee mug down in front Steve and take my own seat across from him, tucking my legs under me.

"How long have you known Natasha?" Steve questions.

"A year now. Living with her for about the same time."

"Where are you from?"

Angel and I have this all practiced, "Washington."

What? It's better then saying 'Oh wonderland'.
Yeah no.

"How old are you?"

I hold back a laugh. I didn't even know that myself.

"Twenty-five."

"Do you know-"

I cut him off getting tired of this. "What is this? Twenty Questions?"

The same phrase that Angel used to say to me when I first came to Earth, comes out of my mouth before I can stop it.

Steve smiles slightly, before saying sadly, "You seem like a great girl, but I have to do this."

"Do what?"

Steve reaches over the table and grabs my neck in a painful way. My vision becomes blurry and before I know it, all I can see is black.

------------------------------