Chapter Fourteen

Scarlet stands in front of me as I press my back to hers, in an attempt to keep the level of suspicion to a minimum from the Red Queen.

"Mother, have you any news of Cheshire yet?"

My eyebrows immediately raise at her words. Is she trying to get me noticed?

The Red Queen shakes her head, "None my dear. And the Oraculum isn't helping either."

"What do you mean mother?"

The Queen shakes her head before explaining, "The Oraculum was suppose to show Cheshire's return to Wonderland in three days time, yet there still is nothing."

Three days huh?

Stepping out from behind Scarlet I look around the room and spot the ancient parchment sitting on a table held up by rabbit.

The white rabbit.

Even without the ears and the little fluffy tail, I can still tell it's him by his punctual waistcoat.

He senses me there without turning his head and slightly lifts the table higher. An obvious sign of what he needs me to do.

Stuffing the Oraculum into my bag, I turn my attention back on mother and daughter.

Scarlet is talking about how her magic has improved and her mother asks her to do magic for her.

My eyes widen. If Scarlet does that in front of the Red Queen...Scarlet will be in trouble.

Scarlet's voice penetrates my mind, I will Cavort you to the dungeons. Free your friends and find the Stone of Wonder.

Before I can reply Scarlet's magic overrides the spell keeping me invisible and I am revealed to both women.

"Cheshire!" The Red Queen screams.

Before I am Cavorted away, I see before me the guards bursting through the door and Scarlet exclaim "Down with the bloody Red Queen!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dungeons are as one would imagine them to be. Dark and damp.
I hear the sound of someone singing.

Following the pleasantness, I stop right at the corner of a wall and when I peek around, I see two card soldiers guarding the rest of the way.

Flicking my fingers, they immediately fall to the ground and shatter.

Stopping right outside the large cell doors that contain my 'friends' I peek in to see them all either lounging against a wall or sitting across from one another. Hatter, Steve and Natasha are all playing with a deck of cards.

"Got any fours?"
Natasha asks Hatter and he shakes his head.

Natasha picks up a card and Hatter asks Steve clearly getting into the game, "Might you have any of the number two?"

"Go fish."

Hatter looks confused and replies curiously, "But I do not see anywhere to!"

Natasha shakes her head and points to the cards splayed out in the middle of them,

"No the cards."

Hatter tilts his head, "But those are not fish!"

Natasha throws her cards up in the air and Steve chuckles.

At the look on her face I begin laughing hard.

All their heads turn to look my way shock clearly written on them.

Natasha is the first to smile and run to the cell door.

"Katrine!" She tries to reach between the bars to touch me, but yelps and pulls her hand back toward her.

Hatter rolls his eyes and says, "I thought you had already established the fact that the bars are sealed off with magic."

All heads swivel towards him with sharp glares.

Hatter chuckles,  not even bothering to stop himself and rises to his feet.

The rest of them rise, and begin to stand in front of the door, but I shake my head, "Make room."

They scoot to the sides practically hugging the side walls.

i raise my hands fingers spread out and feel my magic pumping through me and release it into the door....making it fly out of it's sockets and into the farthest wall.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sending the group back to the Hatter residence via Cavorting...I find my way back to the dungeons.

"Scarlet!" I hiss as I stop in front of her cell.

Her hands are chained above her and she is barely breathing.

She lifts her head slightly and looks me in the eyes, "Cheshire. You need to leave."
she croaks, her voice raising and lowering.

I shake my head, "You need to get out of here and get the Oraculum to the White Queen."

"What about you?"

I smile slightly, "I need to get to the Stone of Wonder before Frabjous Day."

She nods, and before my very eyes, she snaps the chains above her her feet hitting the floor. 

"How'd you do that?" I ask confused.

Scarlet raises her head and I can see the strength behind her eyes in the dim light.

"Do you honestly want to know?"

I shake my head. It most likely has something to do with her mother.

Scarlet puts her arms out towards the bars and after a second or two, they fade away.

"Come on. We need to get out of here.

------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I know this is some what shorter then most of the previous ones but there is a good reason for that. I'm not entirely sure about what I am about to say next...The next chapter or the one after will be the last one of this book.

NEVER FEAR!

I have already decided on a continuation (I mean, who doesn't like a sequel?) And will feature the sneak peek of the next book. Hint: It's a picture I drew.

Anyways, Onward and upward we go, to the next chapter!

-Alexandra Rylie