round one

Katya didn't sleep that night. Instead she remained upright in her bed, her fists clenching and un-clenching in anticipation. 

If she didn't fight she would die. If she did she would have to kill someone. Each were equal devils, however Kaya had yet to decided which was the worse of the two. 

Dying would end her misery but bring disgrace to the soviet union and her instructors. Killing would haunt her for the rest of her life. 

And she knew that this wouldn't be the only time she would be forced to kill. 

With the injection fresh in her system the newly eight year old girl didn't think about why a ballet program would require murder. All she thought about was following her instructions. 

She was instructed to fight. Not question Madame B's methods. 

Katya thought that this was merely a way to see who was serious about bringing honor to the soviet union. Eliminate the weak from the strong. 

Before she knew it her cuffs were being removed. The rhythmic footsteps of the girls pushing her out of bed. 

Her group flew through the morning routine despite their slow pace. It seemed that none of the girls were exactly excited for fighting their peers. 

Sure they were jealous of each other when Madame B praised someone else but they didn't want to fight them. Especially not kill them. Yet here they were, getting ready to fight the girls they trained next to for two years. 

Before the raven haired girl knew it they were outside, standing in a half circle around where they would be fighting for their lives. Katya waited with baited breath as Madame B chose the first pair. 

All she could hope was that she wouldn't have to fight first. That she wouldn't have to be the first one to die or kill. 

The almost ten year old girl relaxed slightly when a blonde girl, whose name was Aleandra, was chosen along with a copper haired girl whose name was Bettina. The two girls who were doomed to fight stared at each other with wide eyes. 

They cautiously stepped forward. Bettina was visibly taller than Aleandra yet Aleandra had more muscle. There was no clear winner. Physically at least. Katya knew that this fight was mostly mental. Who ever had the will to live would win. Not the girl with the most muscle or knowledge. 

When neither of the girls moved towards each other Madame B snapped at them in Russian, "Fight." 

Bettina whipped her head around, pleading with Madame B, "I can't! I can't kill somebody." 

Ignoring Bettina, Madame B turned to Aleandra, "Fight. Now." 

Aleandra didn't move a muscle. Her eyes remained wide and her fists clenched. A minute of tense silence passed, nobody saying a word. They thought that if they didn't fight that neither of them would die. 

How wrong they were. 

Without a word Madame B pulled out a small pistol and shot both girls in the chest. 

Katya gasped, her foot falling out of line as the two girls dropped to the ground. Madame B glanced at Katya, her perfectly groomed brow raising. "Katya and Corina." She instructed as the two dead girls were moved out of the circle. 

Katya froze, her whole body filling with pure dread as her name was called out. She glanced next to her, catching Corina's eye as they both stepped forward. 

They now knew if they refused to fight they would both die. Their only choice was to fight. At lease one of them would survive. 

Katya avoided the two puddles of blood, stopping parallel to Corina, a brunette eight year old. 

Madame B simply nodded. And in the split second that she began to raise her head Katya had decided her fate.