twenty-eight

It was Katya's sixteenth birthday. 

That was the day that Katya was chosen for the Black Widow program. The serum had been perfected and twenty eight girls had been chosen. 

Katya and Natalia were the only girls from their group that had survived. The others either disappeared or were killed at their hands. 

The two girls had grown exceptionally despite the harsh conditions. Katya remained shorter than Natalia but she was admittedly a better fighter than the red head. The two had created an unspoken bond, the two looking out for each other in a way that was forbidden in the red room. 

They began talking. Not just about killing or fighting but talking about themselves. Once both of them realized that they were loosing pieces of their old selves they went to each other. Telling stories about their old lives and trying to hold onto what was left. 

The two found it easier to remember each other's history versus their own. Each morning they would wake up with new memories and that night they would tell each other about what they had forgotten. 

It got to the point where Katya knew Natalia's past life better than her own. 

And on the day of Katya's sixteenth birthday the girl was told that she would no longer have to kill her peers. They were instead now her teammates. For the time being at least. 

They would no longer have to fight against each other and with their new targets and practice dummies were the traitors of the soviet union. 

It was still horrible but all of the twenty eight girls could agree that it was better than fighting each other. 

Each of the twenty eight had such advanced skills that a single fight between two girls could last for days. They were all equally matched with the same skills and teachings that it was almost impossible to kill each other. 

And when it got to that point the twenty eight were chosen for the program. 

And in two years time they would be graduating from the program. 

As black widows.