Chapter 4: Peculiar Guests

Last night was the most awkward of all! Imran was confused, I was scared, everything was moving too fast. Thankfully, Amna knocked on the door at the right moment and Imran had to move away from me. She came in with a wrapped gift. She said that it was for us from her and Fahad's side. They bought it in their way back from the hospital. It was a pretty photo frame with a photo of I and Imran from our nikaah day.

Amna was a life saver that night. I would never want to have that conversation with Imran. It also made me think that soon I will have to tell the truth to Imran. I could not go on like this anymore but I had no idea how to say it to him. How would I ever tell him that this marriage means nothing to me and I am only compromising for the sake of my mom?! No matter how hard it sounded, I had to tell him, soon. And like that, I had survived another night with him.

****

I had woken up before Imran and bathed and changed into shiny new clothes. I prayed to Allah to make it a better start into this new life and walked out of the room to find pin drop silence spread across the whole house. The men must be out working but Imran might've taken a day off. As I crossed the hallway I heard some noices from the kitchen.

"Asalamualaikum, Good morning", Aunty Sabeeha cheered as I entered the kitchen which was filled with fresh smell of eggs and toast. My stomach was on the verge of growling.

"Walaikumusalam! Good morning!", I smiled at her, "can I help?", I came and stood near her to see her busy with pans and spoons.

"No no, I'm fine. Why are you up so early?", she asked, scrambling the eggs in the pan.

"It's my routine and I can't go to sleep once I'm awake", I shrugged, "Are uncle Khan and Fahad bhai home?", I asked, leaning against the counter.

"Yes, everyone's home. They all took a day off. Even Mariam!"

"Didn't she had school today?"

"She did! I told her to make at least slight effort to get off the bed but she was being too stubborn so I let her be", she kept talking as she prepared two plates for breakfast, "everyone in this house has this disease", she shook her head as she chuckled and I smiled.

"But I was just like you", she looked at me with a smile, "I didn't waited for Imran's father to get up either, I had a lot more to handle", she giggled.

"Marriage does bring greater responsibilities", I added.

"It does", she agreed, "I remember when I got married and moved to a new house, I was alone to do all the household work, Imran's father tried to help but his working hours made him too tired and I never forced him. You're lucky you're not in that situation". She was right. Poor aunty. It might've been so hard being alone most of the times.

Aunty Sabeeha despite being my mother's age looked a lot younger than her. Her hair was still thicker and her figure was better. She still had that peculiar glow. The glow my mom could've had if only my oh-so-caring father wouldn't have broken her.

"Can you pass me some juice from the fridge?", she asked and I quickly did as I was told.

She then poured two glasses and placed the plates and glasses on the table, "let's have breakfast!"

"Aren't we all going to have it together?", I asked, astonished.

"I can't keep you starving until Imran wakes up, he won't until it's dhur time", she was right, "anyways bacha, it's better to spend some quality time with you before we get too busy with the ladies"

Yeah! Right! How could've I forgotten that?! Today's the 'meet all the aunties Day', "I almost forgot!", I grinned.

"Which aunties are coming to visit us?", I asked sitting next to her.