Chapter 23: Angry Birds

Afaaf's POV

     "It's him again ! It's always him!", Ayesha was crying so miserably that I started doubting her mental balance at the moment. What had hurt her so deep?

    "Ayesha...", I had to keep my own emotions under control in order to give her courage, "Sit. Sit here. I'll bring some water and then we will talk. Calm yourself down. Imran, his brother and Mariam are all sitting outside. We don't want to let this reach their ears", I tried my best to calm her down and she did calm down after a few minutes.

    I went to the kitchen to look for something I could serve Imran, Fahad bhai and Mariam. There was nothing at all. Why didn't they cook anything today? I decided to make tea. After preparing tea and serving it to them with some crackers I went over to Ayesha with a glass of water. Thankfully Ali was acting normal and the sudden incident didn't affect him as much as I thought it would.

      "Now tell me why did you lock Ali in the bathroom? What happened?", I asked her trying to keep my cool.

     She was staring at the glass for a while and then she looked up at me. Her expression was so blunt she had me scared for her.

     "Ayesha...", I shook her arm after I had enough of her staring.

    "Huh? What?", she said like she just woke up from a dream.

    "Why did you do that to Ali? Who were you talking about?", I was getting impatient.

     "I am sorry. It's nothing. I-I am just tired. I'll get some sleep", she was acting so weird. She covered herself with the duvet and curled up closing her eyes. What was happening to her? First she abuses Ali, her own child! Then she acts like everything will be okay.

    "Ayesha don't lie to me! Tell me what had happened!", I demanded to know the answers.

     "I'm just too tired Afaaf, that's it. Please don't shout. My head is aching. I get tired really easily that's why I got angry at Ali and punished him. I'll talk to him after everyone leaves. Please don't ask me anymore questions"

    I knew she was lying. Why doesn't she say what she's feeling? Why doesn't she want me to know? Before I could argue any further with her I heard the main gates open. I knew it was mum. I left Ayesha on her own to rest and went to the gates to make sure it was mum.

     When I reached there I saw her heading to the living room. I went after her. Everyone stood up to say salaam to mum. I said salaam too and gave her a huge hug. She hugged me back with a smile.

      "How's your daughter Fahad?", mum asked Fahad bhai.

    "She had fallen sick but In Sha Allah she'll be fine"

    "Oh my, did you take her to the doctors? What did they say?"

    "They have her an injection. Nothing to worry about Alhamdulilah"

    Then mum started talking to Imran and Mariam was playing with Ali ticking him and making him laugh.

     I excused myself saying that I'm going to the kitchen to cook something sweet. All the while I was in the kitchen I was debating with myself whether to tell mum what was happening with Ayesha or not. I decided I was going to tell mum since Ayesha had refused to speak the truth to me. I thought maybe she would speak up before mum.

     I was making cookie dough when mum entered the kichten. She filled a glass with water and sat at dining table to drink.

     "Why didn't Ayesha cook anything today?", I asked her.