Chapter 7: Hearts in Pain

I wished Imran could shutup! Since we started to drive away from the parking lot he kept going on and on about his day at work and how everybody was congratulating him for getting married and how the back of his car got filled with gifts. Allah! Pure torture.

"Hey, Afaaf", he touched my shoulder. I looked at him with warning eyes and he kept his hand back.

"I was thinking...", he paused, keeping his eyes on the road avoiding eye contact with me, "do you really need to work? I mean I can take care of you. I have enough to save for our own house, for future and for kids.", he said hesitantly.

I was heating up. Due to the mention of kids or the fact that he just asked me to quit my job, I didn't know but I was in raging anger.

"What the hell did you just say?!", I asked him. More like, shouted at him.

"Calm down, I was just..."

"You were just asking me to quit my job and sit home like a slave girl and follow your orders for food and tea the whole flipping day!"

"No I didn't mean that!"

"I know what you meant Mr. Imran Ameen Khan. All men like you care about is keeping your wives slaved after marriage and oppress them for the rest of their lives. Let me tell you one thing very clearly. I'm not the kind of woman you think I am. It's my life and you have no right to make decisions for me!"

"Afaaf, I just wanted you to feel care free about money problems"

"Oh I know very well what you meant"

"Afaaf, I meant what I said. It's not my problem that you keep taking it the wrong way. I try my best to do what's right for us. It's you who keep taking things the wrong way!", he answered back to me. How dare he?!

"How dare you talk to me like that?! Stop the car!", I shouted on the top of my lungs.

He kept his hand on his forehead rubbing the crease between his eyebrows, "look Afaaf, just calm down. We'll talk when we get home"

"I don't want to talk to you or even look at your face anymore! Just STOP THE CAR!", I shouted again.

Finally, he gave up and stopped the car at the side of the road. I got out of the car, taking my bag with me and started to walk away. I wasn't going home with him even if it meant finding a taxi at this time of the day.

"Afaaf, where are you going?", he came running after me and grabbed my arm. I turned around.

"Don't you dare touch me again", I said pulling my arm out of his grip.

"What is wrong with you Afaaf? Why do keep moving away from me like that?"

"I just don't want to be with you. I never wanted to be!"

"What?!"

"Yes, so leave me alone!"

He grabbed my arm again and pulled me towards him forcefully. My arm was hurting in his tight grip.

"What do you mean by you never wanted to be with me?!"

"Mum wanted me to get married to you. I married you just so I could keep my mum satisfied with me. Now leave me and let me go!", his grip grew tighter and more painful. I looked around afraid if anyone was watching us. "You're hurting me!", I pushed him. He stared into my eyes. He was terribly shocked.

I started to walk away rubbing my arm which felt bruised. I started to cry. I was so stupid. Why did I marry him when I knew what he was going to do to me?!