Chapter 22: Children are blessings but tests too

Afaaf's POV

   It must feel amazing to become a mother.

    That's what I thought until I saw Amna struggling for just two minutes of escape from baby duty. She was so exhausted but baby Areej didn't even bother. All the baby wanted was 24/7 attention from only her mother. It seemed like Fahad bhai was trying his best to help out Amna but all the baby wanted was Amna's energy and time.

     A week or two had passed by. Everyone was trying their best to help out Amna but it wasn't working for her. I found her crying miserably once as she sat at the dining table trying to have breakfast quiet late than usual and the baby kept crying until we figured out it needed to have a comfortable position during breastfeeding. What Amna had to deal made me want to respect her even more. She was holding on with so much bravery. 

     The worst part for her must've been the guests. Everyone wanted to hold the baby and meet the new mom but Amna didn't have time for this stuff. Sometimes she came out of her room without even getting ready to sit before the guests. I took the charge to attend to them so that Amna didn't get all worked up. Those were some busy days when we were attending guests all day, all night. I could only imagine what pressure Amna was going through.

      Then Amna decided to stay at her parent's place for a couple of weeks. I, Mariam and Aunty Sabeeha helped her pack all the necessities. I could see something change between her and Fahad bhai. Was Amna leaving because they fought? I knew I shouldn't be making up conclusions but it really got me worried.

     When I found her alone before she was ready to leave I asked her. "Is everything alright? Why are you going to stay at your parents for so long?"

     "It's complicated. The baby. Motherhood. It all feels like a never ending series of tasks. I need lots of help and I think I can only find that kind of help back home". I stared at her for a moment examining all her changed features. She had grown weak and lifeless. She needed home or better I say her home.

      "I'll miss you so much Amna and our little princess too", I hugged Amna and kissed the baby's soft cheeks.

     "Thank you Afaaf. For always helping. You have helped me like my own sisters", she hugged me back and I smiled.

       Fahad bhai looked really disturbed and sad when he was going to drive Amna and the baby to her parent's.

      "Are they going to be alright?", I asked Imran.

    "I think so". He too had a slight hint of the troubles which they were facing.

     We had tried to help them one way, now it was time to make dua for them and leave everything in Allah's Hands.

     Since the baby was gone now, everything started to get boring. I missed us sitting together to play with baby Areej, dressing her up for everyday, calling her by cute nicknames. The whole house turned unpleasantly silent. Mariam missed Areej the most. She kept going to meet Amna every other day after her summer club classes and came back home telling us how Areej was growing everyday. We could've gone to meet her too but it felt really rude to not let Amna have some peace.

    Meanwhile, Fahad bhai and Imran came up with an amazing idea. Since Fahad bhai was looking for a new place for his little family and I and Imran were also thinking about moving out, we decided to buy a house together. It would be so fun to live with Amna and her little baby. I was already day dreaming about our lives at our new place. The idea was never finalised until we got approval from Uncle Khan and Aunty Sabeeha. They thought it was an amazing idea too. Mariam, however, was Mariam and refused to the idea of staying alone now that both of her bothers and sisters in law would be moving out. I told her to look at the bright side of it. She could get to stay at two places and it would be really thrilling. We could have sleepovers at each others places. Finally she approved it too.