Chapter 35: Right Beside You

Afaaf's POV

    I waited for Imran to come home. I couldn't do this alone. I had no power to face this huge news, if there was any, all on my own. He came back from work and as per my routine I met him at the door taking his bag from his hand. I wanted to blurt out all that had been going on in my head throughout the day, but I had learnt to remain quiet whenever Imran came back from work all tired. I had learnt not to bother him at least until he had made himself comfortable and filled his stomach.

     Imran and I had dinner together where Imran did most of the talking unusually. My mind was far far away from anything he said. From the very moment Amna had raised the suspicion of I being pregnant, everything felt off.

     And when finally the time to discuss things with him neared, I discarded the idea and went to bed. I just couldn't tonight. Tonight didn't felt like the right time. I didn't want to talk about it at all at the moment. I just needed a good night's sleep and get rid of all the thoughts that had inhabited my mind.

    ****

   "Zaid is going to leave tomorrow morning So we are planning to have a family dinner somewhere out today. I hope Abbu comes. His behavior isn't that much promising but I hope he does", Imran trailed off about the upcoming dinner tonight.

    "hmm", I nodded folding the laundry, not paying the slightest attention towards him since my own head was so unclear.

     "Afaaf? Where are you? I am talking to you?", he shook my shoulder and it felt like I just woke up from a dream.

    "I should've taken you to the doctor. The fever is still there", he said placing the back of his hand on my forehead. His hands felt so cold against my skin, "Get ready. I'm taking you to the doctor's right now", he said pulling on my hands.

    I pulled on his and made him sit next to me, "I'll be fine Imran. I don't need a doctor. I took some soup today and I really felt better after that"

    "But you look so exhausted", he asked in concern.

    Putting my shirt aside that I was folding, I sat straight and looked up at him in his eyes. This was the time to discuss about the bomb Amna had dropped over me yesterday.

     "Imran... I want to talk to you about something", I held his hand.

    "Sure. What is it?", he gently squeezed my hand, providing me the push to finally word out my thoughts.

    I got up and brought the box Amna gave me to him and sat beside him closer this time, "Amna gave me this yesterday"

    "What is this?", he said picking it up and trying to read off of it. I gave him sometime till it dawned upon him.

    "No way!", he said surprised and I might've felt him jump a little.

    "I haven't taken this yet. I wanted to take it when you'd be around", I paused taking the box back, "but I'm scared Imran. I'm so scared", I pressed it between my hands. This low feeling that had been consuming me since yesterday only grew stronger now.

     "I don't know what to say. I mean we know this was to happen soon", he paused taking in the surprise, "It's okay Afaaf. Take it. Let's see what it says. Don't be afraid if the result is negative. We'll  make sure at the doctor's. It's going to be okay", he squeezed my hands once more and caressed them with the back of his thumbs. I wish I could tell him that it wasn't the possible negative result that scared me, it was the possible positive.

     ****

   I took my phone from the shelf. The instructions said that it would take 5 minutes. I had the suffer the torcher of waiting for the next 5 minutes. My back was turned to the stick that laid on the edge of the sink. Only one thing was going through my head.