XII.End of an Era

Hey, guys! I hope you're all doing well. I have a minor cold, but meeh. BUT - I was wondering about something. (I'm getting chatty, I'm just so awfully shy and awkward. It's terrible.)

If you could pick a patronous for Claire, what would it be? And what would yours be? :D

The last day of 1993.

The snow was still pillowing down from a bright, grey sky. It seemed fitting, the soft snow letting them glide easily into the new year. And speaking of the new year...

Had she really made up her mind? She sighed softly, she hadn't left her bed yet. Breakfast had already been eaten - curtesy to Ginny.

"Do you need any more coffee?" Ginny said through her last bite of toast.

Claire just shook her head, her stomach seeming to find way up her throat.

Did she want this? Did she really want to date Bill? Uhm, yes.

But did she want to do the whole long distance thing? That was what she was unsure of. Sure, he was staying in Britain for at least half a year. That meant he could probably come and meet her in Hogsmeade now and then. But would that be enough...

She guessed it would help them taking things slow, and that was never a bad thing. But... Man. What to do?

"Earth to Claire?" Ginny waved a hand in front of her, making her snap out of her wondering with a violent shiver.

"Oh... sorry." She shook her head and looked up at Ginny with a semi convincing smile.

"What's wrong?" the fiery substitute little sister of hers sat down beside her, looking almost a little worried.   "Just... Stress,  some acid reflux, a fear of change, future alcoholism." She chuckled, but felt at once very nauseous.

"What, Bill trouble?" She chuckled. Claire nodded absentmindedly.

"Kinda. I just have to make up my mind about where I want to go with this I guess..." Claire let out a big gust of air, absolutely hating the world for a split moment.

"Then you've gotta figure it out." But she was grinning, knowing very well what Claire would do. It was funny how Weasley's always knew her the best. "Now... You have to make me gorgeous?" Ginny grinned. Claire chuckled a little as she bent over where she sat, reaching down for a dress she had thought would look good on Ginny. She would have to take it in, but that only took a moment.

"I was thinking this." She grinned, holding up a midnight blue fit and flare dress. Ginny gushed over it immediately, squealing as they tried it on and made it fit perfectly.

It was still a few hours before they should get ready, but by the time they had found a dress for her, given Claire several speeches of encouragement, and pushed in some secret scheming, the clock was already five.

"Should I just find her?" Claire was a little nervous, but she felt like she needed to repay Mrs. Weasley for the kindness she had shown her this entire Christmas break. She just couldn't leave off the year without repaying the favor, even if just a little.

"Yes, yes. Now go downstairs!" Ginny chuckled, pushing Claire out the door as she fidgeted with the present in her hands.

She jogged down the stairs, still clad in pajama bottoms and the Weasley sweater she had gotten on Christmas Eve.

As expected Mrs. Weasley was in the kitchen. She was fixing up tonight's scrumptious dinner and the smell made her want to beg for a taste.

"Mrs. Weasley?" She said softly, clasping her hands together gingerly. Mrs. Weasley turned around with a warm, if not flustered smile on her entire face.