Chapter 3

Her finger looked foreign to her without her engagement ring on it, no matter how much she thought she was ready for last night, it still hurt like hell.

She needed to do this, something has shifted in their relationship.

It all started with finding out about his first fiancé Nicole, and then that damn 'Push test' idea of Sean's, damn him and his ridiculous advice.

It had planted the tiniest seed of doubt in her head, but truthfully? It had nothing to do with Sean Roman.

She wiped the tears from under her eyes, as she though back on the last six months or so.

Anytime she brought up picking a wedding date he'd get all cagey and completely change the subject or ignore it outright.

She about fell over when he had decided on a best man, he picked Kevin and she was pleased.

Until she put two and two together, of course he picked a best man.

It was the only way to ensure a bachelor party, and he had one already.

That in itself confused her, who has a bachelor party before you set a damn date?

When she questioned him he told her it was the only time all of his friends could get together.

Then Al and Michelle moved into his tiny one bedroom apartment that was barely big enough for the two of them but he added two more to the mix.

Granted he didn't have much choice, the man had just shown up on his doorstep with his daughter in tow.

Effectively ruining their little date night.

It didn't look like Al would be leaving anytime soon, so they attempted to make the best of it. A few times a week they'd crash at her place, it was beginning to feel like the only thing he wanted from her was sex.

Not that she would complain about the sex, that was fantastic.

He seemed distant and she felt as if he was pushing her away.

Normally at work if he had a free moment and he knew she was still in the building he'd hunt her down.

Now? Nothing. He'd be 'busy' and couldn't talk.

She spoke to Erin about it and against her better judgement Sean.

They both told her to talk to Adam, call him out on his behavior.

She couldn't it scared her too much, the last thing she wanted to do was lose him.

Problem was she couldn't help but think she already had.

Adam held the envelope in his hands, terrified to open it.

His desire to know what she had written overpowering his fear.

Dear Adam,

I'm doing this the coward's way I know, but it's the only way I can do it and believe me it needs to be done. You see you have this amazing hold over me, by simply looking in your eyes I feel whole and complete. The sound of my name coming from your lips makes my heart beat just a little faster.

In your arms I feel safe and loved, but lately I've been wondering if love was enough. I question just how much you love me.

You've become distant Adam, and I don't know why. It's literally stealing the air from my lungs, and I can't live this way.

My god Adam, I love you with every fiber of my being but this, what we are doing right now it's not enough.

You promised to spend the rest of your days with me when you put that ring on my finger and you've seemed to have forgotten what this ring means.