Chapter 9

"You alright?" Jay asked.

"I'm good" Adam mumbled, though he wasn't quite sure he believed himself and he was certain Jay didn't either.

Jay laughed. "Just breathe Ruzek"

Trudy and Catherine had everything just about ready, both impressed with Adam and the entire idea.

"This is such bullshit" Kim complained as Erin drove them to deliver case files to the Ivory Tower, "why are we stuck playing mailmen?"

Erin smiled knowingly, "Someone needed to do it and all the guys are at that training" she explained.

Kim rolled her eyes, "That's bullshit!" She hadn't been working with the unit long but all of this seemed super shady, "Since when is having a penis the requirement to attend a training? What is it 'Pissing Aim 101'?"

Erin roared with laughter, "Shit! Can we get a training for that? Halstead can never get it in the toilet. I swear he's worse than a little boy"

She turned to face Kim, it looked as if she was upset, "Hey? Something wrong?"

Kim glanced out the window and watched as the landscape rolled by, "I don't know" she said softly her gaze shifting to Erin, "It's just while things are good with Adam and me, I just can't help but think nothing's changed. That everything he said, was just lip service"

Erin pulled into the parking lot, "Have you spoken to him about it?"

Kim shook her head.

"Don't you think you should? Look what happened last time" she reminded her friend.

Kim smiled, "As usual, you're right"

Erin grinned, "Girl, I'm always right"

Kevin found Adam out back leaning against the wall, "Hey, this is amazing what you're doing, you know that, right?"

Adam met Kevin's gaze, "I hope so"

"I'm so ready to go home and soak in the tub" Kim complained when they finally arrived at the 21st, it was supposed to have been her day off only to have been called in to ride with Erin.

"You coming in?" Erin asked suddenly a little nervous.

"Don't think so" Kim said as she started towards her car.

Erin knew she couldn't let her go, "Kim, please come inside, I need to talk to you"

Kim stopped and turned, "We just spent the day in the car, how come you didn't tell me then?" She was exhausted and anxious to get home so she could talk with Adam.

Erin begged her, "Please, I really need to talk to someone"

Kim hung her head, "Alright, just make it quick" she teased. She knew she owed it to Erin after she had been her sounding board many times and the least she could do was return the favor.

Kim found it odd that the 21st was strangely calm, "Where is everyone?" She asked Erin.

"Don't know, let's go in here" Erin dragged her into the office, Kevin already in place.

Kim was throughly confused, Kevin sat in his dress blues a garment bag in his hands, "Hey Burgess" he grinned, "here you go" he handed her the bag.

"What's this?"

"Your dress" Erin squealed, "Adam's waiting for you in the locker room, it's your big day!" She clapped her hands in excitement.

"What?" Kim asked dumbfounded, "What?"