Chapter 4

ONE MONTH LATER

The phone sliding across the dashboard, aggravated Sean, "Are you gonna answer that?" She was miserable and in turn he was miserable.

She grabbed it, "It's my mother" her voice sounding more like a growl than her usual chipper voice, "I'm sure it's about Adam and the engagement" her mother was in full on wedding planning mode even having met up with Platt a few times.

Kim hated it, her mother and Platt becoming besties was just too much.

Sean chuckled, "Seriously? You haven't  told her you ended it with Ruzek?"

Kim looked at him, her eyes narrowed, "No, I haven't okay. One broken heart is enough for me" how her mother loved Adam, it was only natural. He was your typical flirt, he could charm the pants off anyone and sell ice to Eskimos.

Sean placed his hand on her thigh, he really felt bad for her. Truth was he could see it coming a mile away, as a guy who had serious commitment issues he could spot it in anyone. Adam was ripe with commitment issues, he just hated that it came at his best friend's expense.

"My brother is in town, you should come hang out with us tonight" Sean offered, "you'd be doing me a solid" Sean told her. His brother was a great guy just eighteen months older than him, just didn't really want a third wheel during his date with Callie. Kim didn't need to know that bit of information though, he knew she'd never go if she knew it would be pretty close to a date.

Kim flipped through the radio stations, "I don't know Sean, I'd hate to run into Adam" she had successfully avoided him for the most part. She didn't trust herself around him, just one of his trademark smiles would break her resolve.

He needed to know what he was missing, what his own insecurities would cost him.

"Well, if we run into Ruzek and I doubt we will" Sean countered, "He'll think you've moved on, that you're dating Seth. Might be enough to light a fire under his ass, no?"

"I'm not into playing any more of your games" she laughed, "You've done enough damage" she teased him.

He sighed, "I'm really sorry about that, but it's not my fault he answered the way he did"

Life sucked, Al and Michelle had finally found a place of their own and would be leaving in a few weeks and he'd be alone.

He missed her, but he wasn't good enough for her. As much as he hated to admit it, she deserved someone better.

Someone who would be able to commit to her and provide her with the life she so richly deserved.

He knew he wasn't that man.

Adam Ruzek wasn't husband material. It was better they both figured it out now, not five years and a couple of kids in.

Sean opened the door for Kim, "You know Platt knows the wedding is off, and that you and Ruzek are done. If your mom is as close with her as you say, she's knows too"

"Shit" Kim whispered under her breath, "you're right"

He put his radio on the shelf, "So, tell me you'll come tonight. It'll be fun and you need to let loose a little, you know have some fun"

He was right, she hadn't been out since the break up. It was hard their circle of friends was exactly the same and the fact her best friend was dating his best friend really made things awkward.

"Yea, alright"

Sean smiled, " Sweet you'll like Seth. He's a good guy, not as good as me but we can't all be perfect, can we?" He joked, "see you later"